lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
cvingr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default What EZGO to start with?

Hey all, I`m looking for some advice on what cart to start with. I want to build a neighborhood cruiser, stretched and lifted. I want electric as I will also use it for a couple weeks of hunting. No hills or rough terrain at the hunting property. I will likely plan on upgrading the power with a controller and plum quick motor, and the other necessary components. I have had Club Cars and now want an EZGO, but am not familiar with the different models. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
cvingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What EZGO to start with?

I like the PDS drive system for neighborhood cruisers. They upgrade for less than series carts & easily reach 24 mph. But, when you say stretched and hunting, I suggest you find a series drive cart for your project. They are the workhorse drive system of the golf cart family.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
cvingr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty, would the EZGO series carts be the TXT model? Do they have both 36 and 48 volt series? Also, are there any specific years or model to avoid?
cvingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

TXT is the model 1995 & up. Series is the drive system. Everybody's got their preferences, I like em as clean and new as I can find em and still be reasonably priced. The year doesn't really matter alot since there is little change from year to year.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just in case.... a series cart will have the Forward / Reverse selector located by the right knee of the driver and there will not be a TOW/RUN switch on the controller cover. A PDS cart will have a push button selector switch located on the dash and will have a TOW/RUN switch on the controller cover.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I seen where you asked and did not see an answer so 48 volts would probably be what you want if you will be off-road hunting. Cruising the streets and low to no hills 36 volts is ok. 48 volts has the power to get you through a little mud maintain speed on hills with weight on the cart. I like my RXV which does have a limited slip rear-end. I have gotten in some pretty muddy spots unintentionally and only had to get the shovel out 1 time. I have seen RXV's stretched and did not like the system. Basically the driver seat is moved to the back when stretched and a seat pod is put in the new driver position. If I was to stretch a cart and want electric I would go 60 if not 72 volts and everyone knows that is not possible with an RXV without spending a fortune.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
txbizman
Not Yet Wild

Still learning here and I have basically the same question posted, sorry for the duplicate I didn't see this one.

So the ez go series drive motor can be run on 36 or 48 volts? If someone found a cart cheap needing batteries etc, one could make that cart into a 48v system with new batteries, charger and controller? What would that cost?
txbizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
txbizman
Not Yet Wild

Bump
txbizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Tx, yes the TXT series can be run on 48 volts. How much it will cost depends on how much you want to spend now and the condition of your current drive system, wires included. Most folks here are going to agree, I believe, that replacing the entire drive system is the best way to go. At minimum, that would mean a new 48 volt compatible controller, a heavy duty F&R switch and a heavy duty solenoid. Additionally, since you are replacing every thing else, new drive system wires/cables are in order. Stock the cart came with 6 gauge wires. An upgrade to 4 gauge or even 2 gauge is a good idea. For actual costs, check with some of the site sponsors. But, in a ball park, you are looking at about 12 to 1400 dollars for everything. Plus your new batteries, of course.
If you just replace the batteries, you will most likely wind up replacing most, if not all, of these same parts as you go. In some cases, especially if the parts are worn, using the older, original parts with 48 volts can be dangerous.
Don't forget to add the cost of a 48 volt charger to your calculations, (around $250).
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

txbizman, chloe is right on the money......I am in the process of TOTALLY upgrading my drive system (2007 TXT, Series system)....and I mean TOTALLY, for now, I am staying with 36v, but ALL the parts I am going with will handle 48, so that when I get the green down the roiad, the only thing I will have to buy would be batteries and a charger. with that in mind, minus the batteries and/or charger, my total upgraded system was $1202 to my door.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO