lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Controller Upgrade

Currently running a 400 amp controller. If I upgrade to a 700 amp controller will the change in torque be very noticeable? Current cart is stock 12.44/1 gearing and 10" tires.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller Upgrade

I suspect your wheels are 10". It's tire size that makes a difference regarding torque.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What motor are you running?

The 700 amp controller we sell has a peak output of 800 amps. That is 100% more available amperage than stock. Amperage is what the motor uses to make torque, but allowing a motor access to too much amperage can be a death sentence.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

good point Scotty. what's the max amps a stock motor can take regulaly?
rsw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Not recommended, just what I did. I ran my series at 48 volts 500 amps and it did fine, even when pulling up to three passengers, two extra batteries and a rear seat. I did monitor the temperature with my Alltrax ExRay. I'm sure the amount of hills and load would determine how long it would last.

Heat is what kills motors, and the windings are rated at 180°C, but that's inside the winding. Outside the winding and outside the motor would be cooler, so you kinda have to watch how fast it gets hot, and then assume how long it will take the poor windings to dissipate their heat, before insulation breakdown occurs.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for rapid response! Western HD Motor W80097 36/48 volt (7/11hp) series. AMD BL5-4001 equivalent. It has a PlumQuick Bandit upgrade. I put a GPS speedometer on it from Speedhut, super easy install, and it goes 25 mph on flat surface.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yep, 10 inch wheels
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

OK team appears some responses are pending? Plum Quick said motor would be fine, but to upgrade battery cable if it gets warm. I will have 2 gauge wire today, then will cut to size, crimp, etc. prior to 48 volt pack change out, which is + 1 year out, i.e., existing batteries are still good. I currently have upgraded to 4 gauge. I installed HD solenoid 400/1000 amp. I know amps equal torque, but was not sure what it would equate to for 'feel'. I know that the PlumQuick upgrade was a noticeable pick-up in both 'torque feel' and speed. I am not going to lift my cart as it will stay on-road and looks great with tires inside the wheel wells.
My cart is a 1995 Western Elegante that I have logoed into a Cadillac with after-market and used Cadillac emblems, etc i.e., divot repair holders, under the existing Western Logo, steering wheel, center of each wire wheel spinner, Cadillac wreath around key switch - speedometer - battery indicator, aluminum door sill (passenger and driver entrance) with Cadillac script, dash, headlight and blower knobs are used Cadillac, two Cadillac golf balls in holder, rear break lights, and pending addition of side view mirrors. In addition, I have upgraded the radio cd player, added a 0 to 40 mph GPS speedometer with Cadillac Script on dial face, front grill & rear tail gate Cadillac logo(cart is 4 passenger with gate down), installed Cadillac embossed dome light & third break light on roof with logo, unscrambled Western's wiring and individual circuit fuse protected some specific items, added retractable seat belts to front seat, changed the horn to 'beep-beep', moved the back-up horn to the rear of the cart (makes sense to hear it there vs. under my seat), added halogen headlight bulbs, pedestal analog clock to dash (Cadillac look), installed new shocks, replaced rear leaf springs. Also installed mechanical rear disc breaks, but had to remove as seller and I missed the fact that my Western wire wheels would not accept them without + 2 inch wheel extenders - again a wheel well issue. Also repacked front wheel bearings and replaced rear axle lubricant. I have been busy. Pending project, just waiting on LED lights as I have completed wiring for back-up lights.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would suggest 500 amps at 48v for the best results. Check with PQ to verify this suits their motor rebuild. I believe it does.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Already checked with PQ and they were OK with 700 amp controller per my previous post, just upgrade wires if 4 gauge gets warm. I will consider your 500 amp suggestion. Thanks scottyb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO