lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: diagnostic code 4-2 mechanical blockage

Dont have one Scotty but will order one....That was my first thought but just didn't act like a CC speed senor....

It does fail the roll away test...cant get it fast enough to put in neutral to see if it will stop..

I did disconnect the speed sensor and it made no difference at all...
ncseadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Scotty....or anyone....How about all the volt readings I posted above....Do they sound within range..The one that bothers me is NO reading between M and B+ when I mash on peddle....would that have anything to do with speed sensor
Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would check wiring on the speed sensor to make sure they are all good. Also pull the sensor out and check the magnet. Try this test. With cart in F, try pushing it with no brake. It should start beeping and apply regen if the sensor is working.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

From what you said, I'm assuming you had no problems before swapping the motor. Do you have the old motor and does it still work? If so, maybe try the old motor again, and see if the problem goes away.

Did you reuse your old speed sensor, or are you using one that came with the motor? Are you sure the motor is specific to your controller type - DCS vs. PDS?

Question for the experts. Is it possible that different manufacturers need their own specific speed sensor, or are they universally interchangeable?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseadad View Post
Scotty....or anyone....How about all the volt readings I posted above....Do they sound within range..The one that bothers me is NO reading between M and B+ when I mash on peddle....would that have anything to do with speed sensor
Battery Pack 37.2 SoC only 72%m but is most likely charged enough for testing.
BPN to battery side of solenoid 37.2 OK
BPN to other side of solenoid 35.1 OK if solenoid is not energized. Bad solenoid contacts if solenoid is energized (Pedal pushed)

BPN to M 35.1 OK is pedal is not pushed - Should be 37.2 if it is.
BPN to B- 0 BNP and B- is the same point electrically, so the difference in potential would be zero.
BPN to B+ 35.1 OK is pedal is not pushed - Should be 37.2 if it is.

M to B+ 0 OK if pedal is not pushed
M to B- 35.1 OK if pedal is not pushed

Nothing from M to B+ when I press the peddle down
If solenoid clicks when pedal is pushed, this symptom indicates a bad controller or a bad ITS, but if there is an error code, this may be normal. What is happening is that the MOSFETs in the controller are not turning on.
------------

As long as the Run/Tow switch is in the Run position, pushing the cart in either direction should trigger the Walkaway Safety feature. (Beeper sounding and max regen braking).
If that doesn't happen, the speed senor circuit is bad or the controller is bad.

You may have more than one problem, but I'd fix this one first.

Pull the speed sensor out of the motor and make sure the screw that holds the magnet disk on the shaft is tight. One forum member installed a used motor and after many days of beating his head against a brick wall, discovered that there wasn't a magnet disk installed in the motor. Another forum member had a loose magnet disk that caused him a lot of headaches.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks Yurtle.......Yes the cart was running when the input shaft and the coupling striped out. I tried the welding a nut to coupling thing twice and it didn't work plus the end motor casing had a crack...This cart came from near the ocean and everything rust bad...I couldn't get the old speed sensor out...Got the snap ring out, wire brushed it, PB blasting but it wouldn't come out...

The replacement motor Im sure is a PDS....By talking to the gentleman I got it from an running numbers....

Goes about 20 feet and drops out...let off peddle and mash goes about 20 feet and stops... and does the same with sensor disconnected.
Im going to order a speed sensor even though Im not sure that's what it is...

Any input or testing would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I've never had my hands on a cart with this fault code but I assume no reading between B- and M- due to controller self preservation. Controller works long enough for you to get rolling and shuts off from the original description

Also having same problem with and without speed sensor plugged in is a big clue speed sensor not working..... as the cart wont run with this OEM Curtis without it. You said "Goes about 20 feet and drops out...let off peddle and mash goes about 20 feet and stops... and does the same with sensor disconnected."

Good news is an upgraded aftermarket Alltrax DCX control does not need this speed sensor and will run the cart better than stock without it
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
ncseadad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

ScottyB....Just read your message,.,Yes, I will take the old one out before I order another and check magnet...I had one with a hair line crack one time...

So the volts that I gave are acceptable

Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
1. Did you reuse your old speed sensor, or are you using one that came with the motor? Are you sure the motor is specific to your controller type - DCS vs. PDS?

2. Question for the experts. Is it possible that different manufacturers need their own specific speed sensor, or are they universally interchangeable?
1. A DCS motor does not have a speed sensor.

2. I'm not an expert, but I believe the I/O of the speed sensor circuits are pretty much the same even the the devices themselves are physically different.

The speed sensor in the D&D motor I have, has a CC type connector on it and the electric specs for it appear to be about the same as what is used in a PDS.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I added to my post while you were posting.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO