lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #21
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Speed chip installed, whats next for more speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcnav View Post
... Batteries are 18 months reconditioned....
This is the first statement that I would be concerned about; there truly is no such thing as a "reconditioned" battery... There is no magic potion that brings a battery back to a like new condition. It is either new or used and what matters is how well they were maintained in between... Use the SOC chart as supplied to get a baseline for battery strength; battery strength is the number one factor in both speed and endurance...

Be cautioned that 25 + MPH in a cart designed for well under half that can be very dangerous and squirrelly at best. My cart is an 2011 in very good shape and can do better than 33 MPH but honestly speeds over 25 make me nervious...

You found out that air pressure in the tires makes a world of difference but now you need to clear the brake drag question. Place the tow/run switch in tow and on flat level ground the cart should push easy with not much more effort than firmly leaning into it; once moving is should continue to roll with little effort. It should also not be making a squeaky noises either...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So if you are driving it for long distances and are not stopped how does it read?
There are three different battery voltages that occur, but at different times and each has a different significance.

1. On-Charge: Battery voltage while a charging current is passing through it.

Useful for checking if the charger is working and is an indicator of battery health, and similar tasks, but not something routinely monitored.

2. At-Rest: Battery voltage when the electrolyte is at equilibrium after being charged or discharged.

This is the voltage used to estimate the SoC.

Typically, it takes about 12 hours after being charged for the voltage to stop decreasing. Reading taken too soon will produce artificially high SOC estimates.

Typically, it takes about half an hour for the battery voltage to stop rising after being used (discharge). If reading is taken too soon, the SoC estimate will be artificially low.

For estimating SOC while out and about, just a few minutes will suffice. The SoC estimate will be low, but the is the safe side.

3. Under-Load: Battery voltage while a discharging current is passing through it.

The more amps being drawn from the battery, the lower the voltage will drop.

For routine driving conditions, you should try not to drop the voltage down to less than 1.75VPC (Volts Per Cell), which is 31.5V for a 36V pack. This is more likely to happen during hard acceleration and climbing hills on the way back home, after the pack has been significantly discharged on the outbound leg of the trip.

You should never drop the voltage below 1.5VPC, which is 27.0V for a 36V pack. At that point, irreversible physical damage may occur inside the batteries.

----------
While driving the cart, a DVM type battery meter will be displaying the Under-Load voltage and will vary up and down according to how many amps are being drawn at the time. It drops fairly fast when more amps are drawn, but recovers more slowly when fewer amps are drawn. Other than avoiding going below 31.5V, what it reads while driving is of little significance to most people.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #23
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

Hello All,
I ordered the 808B from Scotty, I wanted a set where if I wanted to go to 48V when these batteries need replacing I would not need to change everything. Looks like I will just need to change the resistor if that time comes. I also ordered 4g cables.

I received it yesterday, fast shipping. It is hot here in Arizona, especially in the garage so I was going to just change out the cables. That changed when I could not get the cables off the stock controller.... the Hulk must have put them on. So I had to take controller out and so I made a go of it and changed it all out aside from the 2 stock motor cables...to hot. I will take care them in tomorrow.

So after all was said and done I took it for a spin, it feels stronger from a stop and faster to max speed which is still 21 mph. Tires are filled and I did brake check, I did not feel much resistance, just the weight but it freely rolled.

So after talking to Scotty today and you all here on the forum, I guess my batteries are weak. I will test them tonight/tomorrow in the mean time while I order a DVM
hmcnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #24
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
That is the very first thing to worry about, your batteries are SHOT and ready for the boat house to give away as anchors. Replace them with 8-volt Trojans T-875's and that will get you 48 volts and all the speed you might need.

Regardless batteries is number 1 priority before you do anything else. Otherwise you are just wasting your time and money. Kind of like Roofers showing up to build a roof before the house foundation has been built. They have nothing to work with or build upon.
I probably would have done batteries first as well. Hopefully you have enough budget left to buy decent batteries now. The 400 amp controller is just going to make the short run time problem worse especially if the turbo feature is turned on.

Quote:
Hello All,
I ordered the 808B from Scotty, I wanted a set where if I wanted to go to 48V when these batteries need replacing I would not need to change everything. Looks like I will just need to change the resistor if that time comes. I also ordered 4g cables.

So after all was said and done I took it for a spin, it feels stronger from a stop and faster to max speed which is still 21 mph. Tires are filled and I did brake check, I did not feel much resistance, just the weight but it freely rolled.

So after talking to Scotty today and you all here on the forum, I guess my batteries are weak. I will test them tonight/tomorrow in the mean time while I order a DVM
I'm going to assume that the turbo feature is activated on your controller since it should have been shipped that way. With turbo off, I can only reach 24-25 which isn't much better than I was on the stock controller. I guess the real difference was it will hold that speed better when the grade changes than the stock controller would. With turbo on and the 500 amp controller backed off to about 425, I see 26-27 mph on flat ground. Actually the top speed wasn't any different between 425 amps and 500 amps. Turbo seems to be the big top speed factor.

It is a good investment to get yourself a USB to Serial cable so you can program the controller yourself. The settings on mine were not all as expected when I got it. I wasn't patient enough to order one online and get the best price so I ended up paying $25 at Radio Shack, but that was a 6' cable which will be nice for datalogging.

One thing you are going to learn, Arizona heat is hard on batteries. People always thing cold weather kills batteries because that is when there seems to be the most power demand, but heat is killer for a flooded lead acid battery. Make sure you don't go cheap on your batteries. Inferior batteries will only die faster.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Be sure to use two wrenches when you take the cables off the motor studs.
Use one wrench to hold the bottom nut so the stud doesn't turn.
Wires inside the motor can be shorted out if the studs turns and a shorted motor can take out your new controller.

-----------
Same speed with PDS controller and DCX400 controller sounds like weak batteries.

The max RPM a cart motor turns is, for the most part, determined by the voltage applied to it and the rolling resistance (drag) of the cart.
At 21 MPH on 23" tires, you motor is only spinning about 3800 RPM, which is below the 4400 RPM limit of a PDS controller in Freedom mode as well as below the typical 5400 RPM a stock PDS motor will reach with a DCX400 at 36V. The cart's rolling resistance has stayed the same, so that leaves the applied voltage dropping under load to a point that will only spin the motor at 3800 RPM.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #26
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hello All,
I ordered the 808B from Scotty, I wanted a set where if I wanted to go to 48V when these batteries need replacing I would not need to change everything. Looks like I will just need to change the resistor if that time comes. I also ordered 4g cables........
You won't be able to use some of the cables on the 6v to 8v conversion if you go that route.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #27
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

Why? Do you need 2G.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #28
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The terminal location on 8v batteries is different and requires longer cables.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #29
hmcnav
Not Yet Wild

I found out the batteries war C3 which is March 2013, so they are fairly new. I tested them 12 after charge. 38V, I kept a multimeter on it during my drive today. It dropped as low as 34. to 35 V with the pedal to the floor and then equalizing to 36 while driving. Afterwards I tested an hour later and it was 40V and 7.2 on each battery. It was like this for a few hours. So I think the batteries are good. So I don't know if going to 48 would be prudent. What are the benefits of going 36 to 48 V... I know more power, but what about speed?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #30
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Question - you say you tested the batteries an hour later and they were 40v, 7.2 each. Was the charger plugged in when you got the 40v reading?

If not, have you checked the fluid level in the batteries lately? If the fluid level gets too low the voltage can read artificially high, until the lead plates start to corrode because they are exposed to air.

If the charger was plugged in then you might get readings as high as 46v while charging, but that is not a reliable reading either. You need to wait 12 hours after disconnecting the charger for the batteries to stabilize and to get a useful reading.
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO