lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default curtis controller on a PDS- No forward??

Got a 48 volt western elegante on a txt frame. This cart has all the factory add ons from western. Has 6 eight volt trojan batteries.

Sequence of events :

Accessories stopped working. Then he had someone wash the cart, not sure if that had any affect on things. Cart will only go and drive in reverse ( buzzer works). , No forward. Cart did run in forward until we were messing around with the wires, trying to fix the accessories.

The 48 to 12 volt reducer was smoked when i got there.Also the radio is fried, and the blower under the dash smokes as soon as you hit it with power.

Besides the reducer and radio being bad now, i removed the blower, and that is bad. I did find ink pen inside the blower cage, that i believe was the original culprit to the smoke and frying of accessories.

4 wire key switch, switches 12 volt accessories and other set of contacts looks like it sends power to and thru the key switch for direction?

The western elegante diagram does not show a PDS set up, only a f/r with microswitches.

Right now i see 3 wires on back of pds f/r switch- orange for forward, green for reverse, and dark gray or black for feed.

If i hook volt meter black lead to pack negative, and red lead to f/r green or black wire, i get 50 volts, at both ends of both wires. When i touch red to the forward orange wire, i get 0 volts. Orange wire has continuity from f/r to controller 3rd slot from right when viewing from top.

This curtis controller says it is a 1264-5404 when i plug in a diagnostic tool.

I cannot find any info on this curtis controller, only on other curtis controllers.

The cart worked until we ran a jumper from 1 of the keyswitch terminals, ( don't remember which terminal) to the batteries( i am assuming it was 51 volts, but don't remember.

Wondering if i smoked the controller?
Also wondering why i cannot find this curtis controller info?
If i have to replace this controller, is this number still available?
Does these pds f/r wires suppose to have 51 volts on them?

HELP
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: curtis controller on a PDS- No forward??

Also forgot to add, i don't see any flashes on the front of the controller for fault codes. I see the little window but no flashes, even when cart is working in reverse.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The EZGO ST400 uses a Curtis 1264 controller, as does the TE5-PDS and maybe others.

Here is the manual for the ST400. It has schematics and T-shooting info.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf electric utility,st400,2010,614281.pdf (10.74 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Mr. Shoe what kind of blower was on this cart?
I'm looking for one for my build.
Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sonny, This has the standard blower unit that western put under the dash of all their old elegantes. It is a 12 volt unit.
This unit is fried now, because the owner dropped an ink pen inside and it kept 1 of the squirrel cages from turning, thus overheated and melted all kinds of stuff.

I'm hoping i can get another blower unit from western this week, to put this back together.

Here are pics of the unit, and the dash of a elegante, where you can see the hose hanging down from the vents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-02-28 12.27.11.jpg (114.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-28 12.27.40.jpg (125.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-02-28 12.29.35.jpg (118.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks.

Johnnie, that link is awesome! It appears the controller is a goner .

I appreciate your help.

Johnnie, how do you know whats going on inside this controller? The diagrams only show the J1 wires going from controller to the devices, but how did you know , to tell me the gray wire takes power to f/r switch? Is there an actual schematic that shows everything?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #7
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Mr. Shoe
If you get any more info. on this please post or send me a PM.
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
Thanks.

Johnnie, that link is awesome! It appears the controller is a goner .

I appreciate your help.

Johnnie, how do you know whats going on inside this controller? The diagrams only show the J1 wires going from controller to the devices, but how did you know , to tell me the gray wire takes power to f/r switch? Is there an actual schematic that shows everything?
Neither Curtis nor EZGO (or probably the other cart manufacturers) re-invent the wheel every time they bring out a new product. Maybe the bits and pieces of the circuits are updated, but the logic isn't unless it has to be. A Curtis 1264 controller may be a very different animal than a Curtis 1206MX (36V PDS controller), but for the most part, the logic diagram is the same.

The DCS controller (1206SX) defaulted to Forward and had to be told to go into Reverse. The PDS controller (1206MX) that replaced it, defaulted to Neutral and had to be told to go Forward or Reverse. I knew form working with 1206MX controllers that the gray wire was voltage from the controller that was either sent to the green wire (F) or the Orange wire (R)

This is "Positive True" logic (B+ on the input activates it) and they could have used "Positive False" (both the Green and Orange wires would have voltage form the controller and the gray wire would have been connected to B-, so the wire that did not have the positive voltage on it would have activated the direction of choice), but why re-invent the wheel, so the odds were 99.999% or better that the gray wire would have pack voltage from the controller on it.

I don't know exactly what is going on inside the 1264 controller, but I know how the circuits outside the controller work, so I have a fairly good idea of what is inside the black box at a block diagram level. If I know what the inputs are and what the outputs are, I can deduce what is functionally in between those two. It is called reverse engineering.

It is something I've been doing for well over 50 years.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO