lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #11
jdbarton22
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Motor getting hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
What temperature are you reading on the motor? Does the A2 wire just feel hotter than A1 or are you able to measure the voltage? A2 is battery+ and A1 is battery-. This is the armature and receives most of the current during operation.

F1 and F2 are usually smaller wires and provide field current. They should not get hot.

With 2 gauge wires, the maximum ampacity is 205. You may be running close to that climbing the steep hills. Unless the insulation starts melting, I wouldn't be too concerned. The insulation temperature rating is 194 degrees F. If you can touch the wire briefly and not get burned, it is nowhere near that temperature. 194 degrees will fry you.

I'd say, you don't have much to worry about at this point. Your motor and wires are fine. The motor should be under 170 degrees.
I don't remember off the top of my head the motor temperature. I looked up the same motor temperature and it was under that so I figured I was fine with the motor. The A2 does just feel hotter that was my only concern but thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
jdbarton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #12
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's not surprising that the GE motor is getting hot on a hunting cart. Especially on one with a 600 amp controller. The heat you're feeling in the wire is more than likely coming from the motor. I've had to replace brushes and insulators in hundreds of GE motors over the years because the A1 terminal and A2 terminals get so hot it actually cooks the insulation off of the wires that are connected to them. The heat can travel down the wire and make the wires hot as well, but the source of the heat is the motor. The brushes in that motor can't handle that kind of amperage.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:12 PM   #13
jdbarton22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray70 View Post
There's not much to a stock GE motor anyway, and your running a 600 amp controller. I think a little hot is to be expected. 400 amp is a plenty for any stock motor. We're you thinking of eventually getting a bigger motor when you went with the 600 amp? If so you may want look at doing that soon.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yes I just got a good deal on the controller so I jumped on it. I do plan on getting an upgraded torque motor for it but I just want to make it through hunting season before I tore it apart.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #14
jdbarton22
Not Yet Wild

I have the otf controller and try to keep it turned down as much as I can get away with and still climb a few hills. I just wanted to know if it was something I could help to make it through this first season with the cart . Any recommendations for a DC torque motor? I think the plum quick rebuild wouldn't be enough torque to keep it from running hot still

Old 11-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #15
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbarton22 View Post
I have the otf controller and try to keep it turned down as much as I can get away with and still climb a few hills. I just wanted to know if it was something I could help to make it through this first season with the cart . Any recommendations for a DC torque motor? I think the plum quick rebuild wouldn't be enough torque to keep it from running hot still

The FSIP High Torque motor would be my recommendation. It's a beast, and it's actually made by Navitas, so it would work great with your controller.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:31 PM   #16
jdbarton22
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The FSIP High Torque motor would be my recommendation. It's a beast, and it's actually made by Navitas, so it would work great with your controller.
Do you have any kind of info on that? I don't see any specs on their website. I've seen several torque motors that top speed is about 20mph with 23's and I'd be fine with that but I wouldn't want to be too much lower than that as I do go for rides down the road occasionally to get to a different part of the lease.

Old 11-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #17
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I forgot to mention the most important reason for replacing your motor. If your Electric Cart breaks down in the field you will never hear the end of it from the gasoline powered ATV and Polaris owners.😎
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:14 PM   #18
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbarton22 View Post
Do you have any kind of info on that? I don't see any specs on their website. I've seen several torque motors that top speed is about 20mph with 23's and I'd be fine with that but I wouldn't want to be too much lower than that as I do go for rides down the road occasionally to get to a different part of the lease.

Here is the link to the motors available from a BGW sponsor. David Hicks will help you choose the right one:

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/motors

SKU: 221-48VTORQUECC is the one you want I think. Specs say 20 to 23mph.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #19
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Here is the link to the motors available from a BGW sponsor. David Hicks will help you choose the right one:

^ What he said.

Thank you Tom47.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:

I have this motor in a cart on stock sized tires it will do every bit of 23mph.
I marked 25 on the GPS speedometer on a fresh set of batteries.
It is a MONSTER of a motor. I'm pretty sure it would rip the guts right out of the axle if you aren't careful with it.
On 23" tires, I would fully expect 25 or better on the road assuming your battery pack can provide enough juice to feed it. (it is hungry)
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car