lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
g9 driver
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Question g9 oil in air filter

hi guys I just got a yamaha g9 (gas) yesterday, at first it drove fine but then it all the sudden lost power, it has a new spark-plug, a new drive belt, had carb cleaned and oil changed. I checked to see what was wrong, and found oil in the air cleaner case, the filter is covered in oil. So i cleaned the case and am now wondering how the oil got in there Is it possible that when the oil was changed, too much was put in and so now its overflowing through the breather in the valve cover? or is the a breather valve that is missing or broken? Also I heard that the oil dipstick is incorrect, if so does it show too much or too little? (P.S. should it backfire with no air filter?) all help is good!!! at least i have one now
g9 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: g9 oil in air filter

Yes it will back fire if the air box is off, to lean. The dip sticks will read low so you end up with to much oil.

Oh and
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

ya if you put too puch oil in the engine it will over flow into the airbox.
only 1 quart of oil!
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
g9 driver
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Ok so if the dipstick reads almost full i prolly have too much? and is the proper adjustment for carb/pilot is 1 1/2 turns back from seated correct? and might my engine not rev up because all of the oil is bogging it down?? its barely running on full throttle? thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
guambomb
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

My G2 did the same thing. Too much oil caused it to end up in the air box and the cart would barely run. I ordered a new filter, cleaned out the airbox, and put the proper amount of oil in and it ran fine.
guambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
g9 driver
Getting Wild
Yamaha

ok Ill have to try that tomoro!! thanks for the help! also has any one heard of gearing or performance parts on the g9 motor ruining the motor? the guy i bought it from said he knows people who tried upgrading th motor and then they died for good??? should i be weary of adding performance parts? thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
g9 driver
Getting Wild
Yamaha

also can I use castrol 10w-30? im totally replacing the oil and thats all I have laying around thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #8
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

and when you empty your oil,make sure you only refill with 1 quart and dont forget to mark the dipstick.i always use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30.better protection.good luck.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
g9 driver
Getting Wild
Yamaha

ok thanks my oil was really dirty do you think since i have the castrol just run it through for awhile to clean it then change to synthetic?(dont want to waste that plus I want to use it today )what do you suggest to mark it with? maybe grind a notch in the dipstick?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9 driver View Post
ok thanks my oil was really dirty do you think since i have the castrol just run it through for awhile to clean it then change to synthetic?(dont want to waste that plus I want to use it today )what do you suggest to mark it with? maybe grind a notch in the dipstick?
No.use it after you drain your oil and mark the dipstick with a grinder or file is good.let the oil drain good.
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha