lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
socal760
Not Yet Wild

Default ez go marathon

just picked up this 36v marathon not to long ago. its in pretty rough shape, dont really know if it runs. the last owner said it did but batteries are dead. i took a shot on it because i believe i got it for a really good price. i recently purchased some knobby tires for it 22x11-8 so i can move it around, waiting to pick those up on monday. like i mentioned i am new to golf carts, so where do i start now? are the batteries salvageable and how can i find out if the electric motor works? here are some pictures please school me on some knowledge in regards to this car and how to get it back to running. any tips or advice on where to start are highly appreciated. thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g cart1.jpg (95.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg gcart2.jpg (76.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg gcart3.jpg (73.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg gcart6.jpg (88.5 KB, 39 views)
socal760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: ez go marathon

First thing I'd do is wash it out. Then take and fill every battery and make sure they all have water in each cell. Then take each cable loose and clean them off good. Clean each battery terminal to. Then try to charge them. See if it runs.
If it does your to the good if it doesn't then you need batteries at the min maybe some wiring and cables also from the looks of it.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: ez go marathon

i hope you didn,t pay much more than 100.00 for it ........regardless you need to start with batteries and cables and from the looks of whats in there i wouldn,t waste the price of a gallon of distilled water on them i would get them out of it.....................even if you can borrow a set of batteries to do a bit of testing cause just batteries is gonna tell you everything you need to know................but until then i wouldn,t dump a lot of cash in it oh and welcome.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
scottn73
Getting Wild
Club Car

What year is it? Dont get upset with it, just take your time dissasemnle it and clean it and go everything. The only issue is the 22" tires you bought are not going to work well or at all without a lift kit. If its an 80s model you can build the lift kit for about 20 bucks or so or buy an economy lift for around a 100 bucks. Enjoy and have fun with it.
scottn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
socal760
Not Yet Wild

i appreciate the replies fellas..i dont know what year it is, the manufactures code is 08204 but i doubt its a 2004.. also on the plate it says ez go textron instead of marathon, is it suppose to be like that? before i wash it are there any precautions i should take or any parts i should avoid getting wet? and yes im definitely going to fab a lift kit for it, any ideas on how high to go im leaning with a 4 inch lift. im going into this project with good spirits and just want to have a fun time fixing her up lol
socal760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: ez go marathon

Try and see if you can get some kind life into those batteries by filling them with water and not worry about de min water at this point and time they are past that.
Put a 12 volt charger on the 3 sets of two and see if they will charge enough to move the cart. Jack it up and see if it will spin the tires, if so you just found a big peice of the puzzle out. The motor is good and the wiring is OK. Then take pictures of all the components and wiring. Make hand made drawings of wiring and such to go by when you have it all cleaned up and ready to reassemble it.

Make sure you hook the 12 volt charger up to 2 of the batteries that have the cable hooking them together. This is 12 volts. If not sure check them with a meter for 12 volts.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

as far as your lift if your interested they sell a 4 inch economy lift for 99.00 not bad and will save you a bunch of time...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
quadmaster96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not to rob the post, but all cells on the batteries are suppose to be full to to the top with distilled water?

-JP
quadmaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaster96 View Post
Not to rob the post, but all cells on the batteries are suppose to be full to to the top with distilled water?

-JP
No, just make sure there is enough in each cell to cover the plates by +/-1/4" or so....just never run or charge with plates exposed...

Too much and you'll be cleaning up a mess either when running and leaking out of the gassing holes or when gassing during charging coming out of the same holes in each cap.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO