lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Razorhog
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 club car, new batteries. Doesn't stop charging

Just put some Trojan batteries in my 2000 club car 36 volt. Drove into the cart shed and plugged it in, the charger needle went way over to 20 and stays pegged while charging. Not sure of the charger make/model, I need to get that. I thought maybe they were just really low so I left it to charge overnight. Come back the next morning and the charger is still pegged out. I can hear a boiling noise coming from the batteries and it smells like batteries in the shed. The cart works but it seems on the weak side and the battery light comes on and off randomly.
I've read so much information and searched that my eyes are bugging out! My first step will be to see if I can borrow a charger from someone to see if it behaves differently. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2000 club car, new batteries. Doesn't stop charging

Just a shot in the dark here - is the battery charger plug a big-round-rubber one with 3 prongs?
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since you just installed new batteries, the first thing I would check is to make sure the Red (positive) wire from the back of the charger socket is connected to pack positive.

If You accidentally connected it to the wrong battery, it will cause the problems that you described.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Razorhog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Just a shot in the dark here - is the battery charger plug a big-round-rubber one with 3 prongs?
Yes it is. Beginning to think the charging circuit cables are backwards from what I've read. Is that a reasonable assumption, and how do you fix it? I don't want to blow anything up
Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK - well it looks like you've loaded 6 volt batteries into a cart that needs 8 volt batteries (that will make for boiling batteries and a very slow cart)! Please post your serial number. I'm 99% sure you've bought the wrong batteries.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Oh Crap! ^^^ that's right. 6/6v in a 6/8v cart

All round plug carts this era have 8v batteries
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Razorhog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
OK - well it looks like you've loaded 6 volt batteries into a cart that needs 8 volt batteries (that will make for boiling batteries and a very slow cart)! Please post your serial number. I'm 99% sure you've bought the wrong batteries.
Crap I think you might be right. These batteries have 3 holes, the old batteries had 4. I could have sworn the cart was 36 volt.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

You *DID* say 36 volt cart (which means you put in six - 6 volt batteries) and Round Rubber 3 prong plug (which means 48v charger) right?

Oh...you looked before I posted this. Yep, 36 volts won't run your cart. You have two options - you could shoehorn in two more 6v batteries and get great "mileage"...or....sweet talk the battery seller into taking those puppies back.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Razorhog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
You *DID* say 36 volt cart (which means you put in six - 6 volt batteries) and Round Rubber 3 prong plug (which means 48v charger) right?
You are right. Wrong batteries. Is there any recourse? Are these batteries shot? Can they be sold or traded back in?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just added to my prior post.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car