lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: For deep thinkers only

In looking at the engine, 105 psi is generally low. Should be higher, around 160 or so. It may be running fine but when warm and under increased load, losing compression around the rings. If you look through the exhaust port, is there evidence of scoring? Also, are the crank seals leaky? Moving to the clutches, they should and will seek equilibrium. A belt that is not 1 3/16" wide or worn sheave faces will allow slippage under load. A weak driven (rear) clutch spring will let the belt be drawn down into the sheaves quicker than it should which will give you that "3rd gear" feeling.

Here is a link to a manual for that approximate year cart:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...nBFWmlmSzduTVk

Also I have included a couple of manual pages that will help get a good picture of the CVT system operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutchop1.JPG (101.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg clutchop2.JPG (82.9 KB, 0 views)
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'm going to slightly disagree with sccowboy.

A 2pg is never going to see 160 psi.
I believe 120-130 is fantastic. Down to 100 is acceptable.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The clutch service pages shown are 3pg.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Cart you are correct... I missed his year (didn't have my reading glasses on haha). However, I think it would be prudent to at least consider compression in this mystery. On another note.... RV, the clutch info was not presented here for model specific diagnostic, only to help him fully understand the CVT system. I am still curious as was asked before, do the rpms drop off considerably when on the hill or does it seem to be keeping the rpms just slowing down to a crawl?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #15
Stone
Gone Wild

I am going to order the wider longer belt and unfortunately I wont be able to test the hill climb until next weekend when I tack it back down to my cabin, but I will provide an update then.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #16
Jamesray
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The longer wider belt will do the opposite of what you want . The hp3004 is perfect . Maybe your driven is not downshifting properly?
Jamesray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesray View Post
The longer wider belt will do the opposite of what you want . The hp3004 is perfect . Maybe your driven is not downshifting properly?
I will respectfully disagree. The best possible gear ratio I can achieve is when the belt diameter is at its smallest on the drive clutch and its largest on the driven clutch. The HP 3004 sits down inside the driven clutch by 3/8" roughly, and has roughly 3/16" side to side clearance on the drive clutch. By putting a wider belt on it will sit slightly higher in the driven clutch thereby achieving a better ratio.

The only negative could be if the belt grabs before the engine starts thereby wearing out my starter generator.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #18
Jamesray
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Im interested because i have an '83 . I read some of your former posts and realized that you have a worn out driven clutch or sheaves? Did you replace or repair that driven ? The belt should not ride 3/8 of an inch below the top of the sheave . Im guessing your driven clutch is worn out or maybe you have an '88 and the HP3004 would be WAY too short . My '83 will slow way down on a steep hill in the woods also but it keeps the rpm's up and crawls its way up .
Jamesray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #19
Stone
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesray View Post
Im interested because i have an '83 . I read some of your former posts and realized that you have a worn out driven clutch or sheaves? Did you replace or repair that driven ? The belt should not ride 3/8 of an inch below the top of the sheave . Im guessing your driven clutch is worn out or maybe you have an '88 and the HP3004 would be WAY too short . My '83 will slow way down on a steep hill in the woods also but it keeps the rpm's up and crawls its way up .
My front sheave on the driven is real weak but I can't find parts and it's not a big enough problem to spend $200 for new one when I am not 100% sure that's the problem. I will keep chipping away at things one at a time.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #20
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

After looking back at those threads, if the rpms stay up on the long hill, I bet the sheaves are worn out and it's slipping.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO