lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #41
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 ezgo gas

It's probably time to think about crankshaft seals.

Put it up on jacks, and run it. Spray something flammable behind the clutch on the crankshaft. Watch your fingers in the belt.

The front seal is harder to check, and the spray doesn't give reliable results because of the flywheel being in the way.

You are looking for an increase in RPMs to see if the seals are sucking air.

Pulling a vacuum through the fuel pump attach hole also works.

You should also check compression so we know what we are dealing with. 100-120 psi is ok.

When you cleaned the carb, did you remove all 3 brass orifices?
One under the float needle valve.
Another in the nut that hold the bowl on.
The third is the long one up through the center of the carb where the bowl nut screws in.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #42
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

Will do. I did notice a puffing / sucking sound last time i tried running it and is why i cleaned carb. I put on stands today.

Rough last few days and was in er for ear infections. Now i know why kids cry when their ears hurt.
Yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #43
Yinzer
Not Yet Wild

Had it running and now the voltage regulator is smoking. I also noticed from your photos that there is no ground on mine from motor to frame.

Pretty certain I also burned up the new starter. Will not start and put old one back on and runs again. Going to replace voltage regulator next.
Yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #44
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

You can use a voltage regulator from 70s and 80s Chrysler products, the rectangular ones with the triangular 2 wire plug. They are cheap to come by and are actually an upgrade as you don't have to worry about corrosion on the contacts of the old mechanical ones which is a common problem if the cart is left outside. I have bought them for $8 from rock auto and the plug is about $4 from them, Genine Chrysler ones are about $25 on eBay, about $15 from Advance or Auto Zone. Green wire goes to green wire on generator and blue goes to normally off side of solenoid just like old one. I run a dedicated ground to a mounting bolt to the frame as they ground through the regulator body.

You definitely need that ground from the frame to the motor. The cradle is isolated from the frame by the rubber mounts if they are good. Yours probably aren't and are probably getting intermittent contact and maybe responsible for most of your problems.
JeffHWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #45
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

I looked up vr733 at auto zone $15 but the plug is $12 #249. I looked it up for a 90 Dodge Cummins pickup as I had one once and know that will work. I mounted mine where the oil reservoir was, had to file about 1/16" out of the mounting holes. Put spade terminal on green wire and plug right into green wire on generator. Had to add couple of inches to blue wire and 3/8" ring terminal and goes right on solenoid. Run ground wire from mounting bolt on regulator to ground terminal on frame or battery. You do need to sort out your other electrical problems or you might fry it. They can't take any current flowing in the wrong direction.
JeffHWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #46
Crimson Wonder
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Guys, I've just read through this entire thread. I just traded for a 1984 EZGO gas model on Saturday and started researching. I haven't got a battery hooked up yet to start testing it out but I know from my initial review of things yesterday that the wiring is in a mess from a bached job trying to replace the solenoid with what looks like an old ford one. Was told by previous owner that his teenage sons played on the thing til the solenoid went out and then they tried to fix it. I'm a veteran at small engines but a rookie at these golf cart rigs and never liked electrical issues. So I'm sure I'll be posting some questions along the way. Already found the service manual (19980G1) on this site for these but haven't found a parts manual (should be 19955G1).

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Would attach a picture of the cart but I can't seem to figure that out just yet.
Crimson Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO