lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #11
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: disappearing oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbersham View Post
Crankcase vent tube. Would that let a lot of oil go thru the system? Does it vent the oil out the exhaust?
The suction from the top end of the motor creates a vacuum on the crankcase to vent it, usually you wouldn't suck oil up
unless the oil level is too high (1.5 quarts, no more) and you would see allot of white smoke if that were the case.

That's why I asked about a lift kit, they tilt the motor and you can't trust the dip stick reading.

edit: You do have the vent tube hooked up right? it runs from the passenger side of the motor
to the air filter box or some models to the carburetor.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #12
my1423
Gone Wild

You can have leaks that dont show.
I had a vw engine that lost oil like crazy and had no visible leak.
Cases were broke away from any seam and only opened at high rpm and dropped oil right on the ground. Low rpm they closed up and looked clean.

Few tests. Auto parts stores have these stick in place oil absorbent mats.
Get a few and place them all around the engine. Make sure they dont touch anything that will light them off.

Get a piece of tubing and put it on the case vent and end it in the bottom of an old can or oil bottle. Be sure to plug off where it goes into the air cleaner. Can see if any large amount of oil gets in there. Some mist is to be expected.

Can take a large can poke it full of holes and stuff it loosely with fiberglass. Wire it onto the the exhaust tip so the exhaust runs through the fiberglass and collects any oil. Make sure the bottom of the can has the ability to save up any oil. None should be seen in the exhaust. If you do have some then the hunt will begin.

Run the cart for awhile and check the oil traps.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #13
Barbersham
Getting Wild

Everything is hooked up. Is it possible it is hooked up wrong and still runs good? As far as oil leaks I have cleaned the tray under the engine and it is pure dust accumulated. Nothing else
Old 08-19-2016, 12:32 AM   #14
Barbersham
Getting Wild

I tried letting the oil go to see if it leveled off on dipstick but it just keeps losing oil. Literally drove it 2 miles and it went from full to about halfway on the add oil part.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:07 AM   #15
my1423
Gone Wild

If it is burning that much oil you would have a white blue could coming out the pipe.

Are you letting the engine set for a few minutes off before checking the oil?

Can you put it up on blocks and run it? See any oil spots?

Also make sure you dont have an aftermarket oil pressure line hooked up.

I have seen those plastic lines break and spew oil way away from the engine.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #16
Barbersham
Getting Wild

We put it on blocks and ran it for 6 hrs. No loss of oil at all. It has to be going out the exhaust because the case is clean no leaks
Old 08-19-2016, 02:13 AM   #17
Barbersham
Getting Wild

I have seen a cloud from time to time. When I go in reverse. Sometimes when I stop and the wind is at my back. I would imagine a white cloud following me down the road but that's not the case at all
Old 08-19-2016, 02:15 AM   #18
Barbersham
Getting Wild

I check it cold before I use it every time. Sometimes when I check it warm it looks way emptier then it really is. At first it had the wrong dipstick so I was overfilling it. Then I changed it out for a new one and it still loses oil
Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 AM   #19
my1423
Gone Wild

So you are seeing a cloud in reverse? Or just imagined?
Old 08-19-2016, 02:29 AM   #20
Barbersham
Getting Wild

I see a cloud in reverse sometimes. Or when I stop and the wind is blowing right. For the amount of oil I am losing I would imagine having a smoke cloud like a tractor pull tractor but I do not. The clouds I see are brief.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO