lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Curtis speed controller- upgrade

Hi I have a 91 Marathon with the factory Curtis speed controller I think it's 300 amp.

I am looking to upgrade and the Curtis 1205m-5601 is a 500 amp an 36-48 volt controller.
I can get it for $300 and start the process of switching to 48 volts and will it give me better torque or more speed? I thought it might swap out ez with my current one?
I have my big 23 tires so I can only crawl up hills now

I lost my right leg above the knee and most of my right hand to a IED when I was 18 so I use my cart to " go for a walk or walk my dog" stuff like that.
I can tell you that disability benefits have me on a tight budget so if anyone has anything to help with the 48v project PM me and maybe I can purchase a few items with PayPal or something?
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Curtis speed controller- upgrade

You will get a 33% boost in speed AND torque by Upping the voltage to 48v (assuming its still a 300a controller). If you used a 500a controller, your torque increase at lower speeds would be much greater.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok great news about the 48v, is that 500amp Curtis 1205m-5601 a decent unit ? It's from China on eBay, are they knock off junk has anyone else tried one of these? It seems like what I need

What is the least expensive unit I can run at 48 and run 450 to 550 amps, I don't need any ramp up or torque adjustments if that helps me with price. There are probably other brands that I am not aware of
Old 12-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
swm63
Gone Wild

I'd run your plan by Scottyb, he may help you avoid the 'risk' of the china controller. He has great prices on the brand new, with warranty, Altrax controllers.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Site sponsor too!
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If I had $700+ I would love to help Scotty and a sponsor site.
I have had good luck with Chinese speed controllers , servos and such in RC aircraft.
It's not that glorious.
I'm just trying to get a feel for what has worked " on the Cheap"
Old 12-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Members at BGW are always looking for ways to save money. But at the same time they are as hard on this equipment as they can be. And they share their findings.
I suspect the Chinese control you see on fleabay in not the best deal going or it would be posted all over the forum. We all read about overseas warranty - HA! good luck with that. There is a less expensive GE control from FSIP with manual adjustments. The warranty is half the length of the Alltrax warranty. And Alltrax makes good on every fair claim. Alltrax has a built in cooling fan and reverse polarity protection. Solid advantages worth paying a little more for.
Plus USA made Alltrax has higher peak and sustained outputs. Check prices for the SR48500 and 400 solenoid. I believe I have the lowest price on this combo on the net. SR48500 $499 and combo $549
EMAIL me if you find it for less
scottyb@cartsunlimited.net
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO