lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Choosing and replacing a 36v controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Obviously they are feeling the pressure - when it comes to technology access you gotta love the open market he-he, cool.
What can you change? Throttle & torque curves? Reverse speed? User 1 and 2 modes?
I can pretty much do anything. I cracked Development Level access, so I can read and write OS and VCL files, set access levels for parameters so lower level programmers can access higher level menus, turn Freedom mode on and off, reflash controllers that were corrupted, ect. While I was under contract and NDA with Curtis, my hands were tied. Now that is expired, no limits. I'm not doing it as a business though. I do it to help others. I do not agree with the current Curtis business model. They have turned their backs on those that helped to get them to where they are, the customers and small OEMs. That was why I parted ways with my association with them.

That's why I like Alltrax. They still care about their customers and the quality of their products.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

They do that - They have been 100% responsible as a manufacture and have remained true to their customers and their dealers - unlike Nivel and that sell out Madjax.

I was just asking what can the average customer expect to be able to adjust with the free software. ( I know you got the keys and the codes)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
They do that - They have been 100% responsible as a manufacture and have remained true to their customers and their dealers - unlike Nivel and that sell out Madjax.

I was just asking what can the average customer expect to be able to adjust with the free software. ( I know you got the keys and the codes)
Since I published the highest level OEM 1309 interface EEPROM data, anyone that makes a clone cable and uses it will have full top OEM access to all parameters. They will not be able to toggle Freedom mode, copy OS and VCL files, or access/erase the deep imbedded logs. But they will be able to do anything an OEM can do. That should suffice for most users that want to tweak their accell/torque/regen/braking curves or set their speed up. I don't want anyone bricking their controller by messing around with base calibrations or programming their max current to higher than the hardware capability. So I chose not to share higher level access in the open. I have shared it with a couple of members that were already at higher level than OEM, so if anything happens to me, it can carry on. None of us is guaranteed tomorrow. At my age, I accept that. I'm fairly well isolated from the business name that I had back when I first signed with Curtis, but you my friend are in the open with yours. So while I would love to share with you, I would not want to put you at risk.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I appreciate your concern - I am not interested in having it. I merely wanted to know what was available to the average end user - which I will say it does sound like the previous description "programmable" is very loosely implied.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I appreciate your concern - I am not interested in having it. I merely wanted to know what was available to the average end user - which I will say it does sound like the previous description "programmable" is very loosely implied.
I agree. If you want more programmability, you must move away from an E-Z-GO branded Curtis controller and use something that has not been explicitly designed to have so many limitations/prohibitions programmed into the E-Z-GO VCL (Vehicle Control Language). The generic Curtis controllers with the generic VCL are so much better than the E-Z-GO variants, but are more expensive than the Alltrax controllers.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:26 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

And while I love making electronic stuff. The vast majority of folks have zero interest in building a "what the he!! Is a ftdi cable". A lot of people would just stick their foot in the poo for messing with that level of the electrical pixies anyhow. I suggest the majority sticking with the Alltrax, a standard "A-B USB cable" & easy to use software, BOOM- DONE!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #17
sandbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Does the clone 500amp Curtis control that Seaquell referenced allow user programming as well?
sandbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbuggy View Post
Does the clone 500amp Curtis control that Seaquell referenced allow user programming as well?
Yes, but the level of commitment is too much for even the above average user.
Read all the posts above if you are looking for a programmable controller.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #19
sandbuggy
Not Yet Wild

Am actually familiar with using serial language as we still do low level work with micro controllers and in my spare time I also use them with arduino clones etc. Not apprehensive on flashing binary, just wondering if the Curtis controller requires some type of proprietary controller or software that is not available opensource and if so, if the curtis clone requires the same interface as well?

Probably ought to just bite the bullet and purchase the alltrax since the support is probably well worth the difference..
sandbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are one of the rare few who could deal with it. Before you dive in read these 10 reasons you want to own an Alltrax > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/about-...ntrollers.html
PS
Let us how it works if you go the geek route

Tags
ezgo controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO