lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
mrpush
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad Breaking!

Hi,

I have a 2006 TXT. It has aftermarket Jake kit on it with all new breaks etc. But the breaking is TERRIBLE! On a steep slope you have to muscle the break Peddle to get this thing to stop. My 100 lbs wife is like "OMGOSH! I'm gonna die if you don't fix this thing! " (Good thing the motor breaks itself). Before I venture into bleeding breaks, I wanted to ask if this is possibly normal for this type of system? It's my first cart.

It's got disks in front and drums in back.

Thanks,

MP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170524_205821.jpg (321.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170524_205930.jpg (410.2 KB, 0 views)
mrpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad Breaking!

I can't speak for disks, but my two drum brakes will lock up the two back tires at 35+ mph going downhill with 4 people. Download the manuals for your buggy. There'a whole chapter on brakes.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

You have the exact same set up that I have on my 2000 TXT. I installed my front Jakes disc brakes about 8 years ago, and just this year I put on my front end LT kit. Here's a pic of my LT during the install. As you can see my toe in\out and caster\camber was not yet set. Plus I had some custom made weed guards for the calipers to assist in blocking sticks from tearing off the brake lines.

Now, you did state your brake's were all "new". So...how do you know this? Did you have them installed? Did the seller tell you this?

I will tell you that after 8 years of use, I replaced my front disc pads. When I took the old one's off they were half-worn down. However, they did NOT work like they did when brand new. I could put the front on jack stands, lock the brake peddle and I could still turn the front tire!! Not good!! But, since I replaced the front pads with new ones I can't turn the front tire any more!! And now the cart STOPS like it did when the brakes were new.

Also....did you look into your Jakes master fluid cylinder? It's that little white fluid holder under the seat with a screw off cap. There should be a black rubber seal under the screw off cap when you un-screw it. It won't bite you, just be careful when you un-screw it and keep the little white thing level. If you spill any fluid just re-fill it with brake fluid. Now, if that little white container is empty....and I mean dead empty, you may have a fluid leak somewhere. If it's half-way down, your front pads may be like my old one's and just need replaced. When you put new pads on, the wheel cylinder will need "pushed back" and that will "push up" the brake fluid into the system and the white fluid holder will fill back up.

Now, if after all of this madness, you determine your brakes need bleeding, I would recommend you contact a few local brake shops and ask if they can do a suction bleed for you. Why? Because for the under $75 cost or so.....it's well worth the aggravation you will save of trying to bleed the Jakes system. It's not like a car. You can Google the net and make your own suction bleed system if your mechanically inclined.

But.....keep it simple first.

#1--Are your brake pads new? Are you sure? How do you know?

#2--Check the fluid holder. That little white gizmo with the screw on cap. See how much fluid is in there. It should be at least 3/4 full.

#3--Give the front tires the "brake lock, spin the front wheel" test. Pass? Fail?

#4--Report back here.

I have had great success with my Jakes front brakes and factory drum brakes here in Pennsylvania. I hunt in the woods of Southwest where hills are hills and mountains are MOUNTAINS. The only place that has steeper mountains is West Virginia. And yes....stopping is actually more important than going. Not going will cause you grief. Not stopping can kill you.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can easily add the Ausco cable operated disc brakes in the rear for more braking power.

By the way locking em up at 35 is a lot easier than locking them up at 5
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I also have stock tires, so larger tires would not do as well.

Can you even lock 'em up at 5???
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
mrpush
Not Yet Wild

Hi

Well very good point. The seller told me the kit was newer within a year but that is an assumption on my part that the brakes are new. The entire cart looks brand new so I just made that assumption. I will do the brake lock test and check my fluid and I will let you know thanks for the tips.

MP
mrpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yeah. Sometimes seller's say anything to sell. Put a good power wash with soap and it will look all spiffy 'n good. Now, I'm not saying your seller was all talk 'n no action, but I got $1 that say's your front brakes won't pass the lock up test.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO