lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Scott1088
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Upgrade motor or change gear ratio?

I have a ‘96 Club Car DS lifted with 22” tires. The motor is a GE with a good blend of speed and torque. Max RPM is 4150. I’ve upgraded the MC to an Alltrax and have HD F/R and solenoid and 2 ga wires. My question is, to increase my speed from the 22mph I’m currently getting to the 25-30 mph that I’m looking for, what is the best route to take? I live in Fl so no major hills but we have some gradual ones in our neighborhood so I don’t want to lose a ton of torque. I’m looking at either a plum quick Bandit upgrade or changing from a 12:1 to an 8:1 gear ratio. I was originally looking at the Rattlesnake II motor, but Hurricane Irma changed the budget.

Thanks all.
Scott1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade motor or change gear ratio?

Hey Scott- check out the details of my CC in my signature. With stock gearing I was doing wheelies and laying down 11's in reverse. Top speed was pretty slow...I don't remember but likely around 15-18mph +/-?? After installing the 6:1 I can get 31mph. I pull a trailer with my cart and have had it loaded with pavers and the cart had no problem pulling it around the yard. The solenoid took a dump but now that I have a super duty reversing contactor it's all good. There are a few bridges I go over and the cart will lose about 5-8mph going up the bridge. The torque is plenty for my cart and you aren't even going to 6:1... but I don't know how our motors compare.
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Scott: If you are going to change gear ratios, consider the 10.3 gears that are in the Club Car Villager LSV. You can contact David Hicks 706-836-7210 at Revolution Golf Cars for information on part numbers and availability on the gear set.

I knew that I would have to do a complete rebuild to change gears and bearings, so I chose to spend a few extra bucks and purchase a complete 'brand new' 10.3:1 transaxle thru David that never had fluid installed. See my Avatar info as well. I didn't give up as much torque as I would have with 8:1 gears which is all you will find in the aftermarket along with the 6:1.
Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Villager 2+2 LSV Specs.jpg (89.3 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Scott1088
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Extractor! Your setup is very similar to mine. I need to put a pic up and my specs. I have an Allsport 6” A-Arm lift kit instead of the LT. I’ve got a heavy hitch that I tow a small trailer with but nothing as heavy as you. My motor doesn’t have the torque you have but I have more speed. Sounds like your set up is solid.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Scott1088
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
Scott: If you are going to change gear ratios, consider the 10.3 gears that are in the Club Car Villager LSV. You can contact David Hicks 706-836-7210 at Revolution Golf Cars for information on part numbers and availability on the gear set.

I knew that I would have to do a complete rebuild to change gears and bearings, so I chose to spend a few extra bucks and purchase a complete 'brand new' 10.3:1 transaxle thru David that never had fluid installed. See my Avatar info as well. I didn't give up as much torque as I would have with 8:1 gears which is all you will find in the aftermarket along with the 6:1.
Good luck
Thanks! David is my go-to guru and where I get my parts. I didn’t see gears on his website. I’ll give him a call now.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1088 View Post
I was originally looking at the Rattlesnake II motor, but Hurricane Irma changed the budget.

Thanks all.
Wait and keep saving for the RS II
Swan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Nice talking to you today. I don't recommend higher gears with oversized tires. Gary's cart is a little different. It's not lifted and it has regular sized tires on it, which is approximately the equivalent as your cart with stock gears and 22 or 23" tires on it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Scott1088
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Nice talking to you today. I don't recommend higher gears with oversized tires. Gary's cart is a little different. It's not lifted and it has regular sized tires on it, which is approximately the equivalent as your cart with stock gears and 22 or 23" tires on it.
Thanks David. I am working with Robby at PQ and I think we’ve got a solution tht will work at least until I’m ready for the RS II.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car