lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
ApexPredator
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 st350 Workhorse No Speed

I just bought a 2005 ezgo st350 from a local college that was revamping it's fleet of carts. I have no history on this thing other than it was used by the security department at the school so they were rode hard and put away wet. My uncle, who is very mechanically inclined, installed a new timing belt to replace the broken one, cleaned the carb, emptied and cleaned out the gas tank, changed oil, gas filter, and plugs. The thing fires up great but has no speed. Motor seems to have good torque but when you step on it it wont move but 1-2 mph. In neutral, the engine accelerates fine and you can see the clutches opening and closing respectively. I would like to get this thing working right so i can move on to all of the other problems it has. Any ideas? He did a dry compression test in front of me and 180 on each cylinder. Engine looks to have been freshly rebuilt as it still has the new sticker on the valve cover from the company that did the work.
ApexPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2005 st350 Workhorse No Speed

Does the engine accelerate in gear, just no speed ?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
ApexPredator
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the engine will accelerate while in gear but will not translate to the wheels.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Might be a stripped hub, check the center nut on the rear wheels where the axle bolts to the brake hub,
see if one is spinning but the wheel isn't... seems to be a pretty common problem on these.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
ApexPredator
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I will check that out tomorrow or Monday. I did notice the other day while we had the back end up on jack stands that when we would accelerate while in gear only one of the back tires would spin very slowly and the other one did not spin at all.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

any luck?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
ApexPredator
Not Yet Wild

I am picking it up tomorrow from my uncle's house so I can take a crack at it. My cousin who was in town for New Years took a quick look at it while picking up some tables for the party. With the cart in neutral and the accelerator somewhat pressed making it run he manually tried to accelerate the cart at the carburetor and it did not speed up just kept going at the same pace. He told me that the cart is running off the idle pilot on the carburetor and accelerating through timing if that makes any sense. When I pick it up tomorrow I am going to start by checking the hubs as suggested then I will check the cables and belts. I wish I knew someone down here that worked on them to guide me but I will just have to make due.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Old 01-05-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

sounds like it is possibly a blocked main jet. So may just need cleaning. It will run at low idle on the transition jet but wont pick up when opening the throttle, but will run faster with no load, ie, on stands. My suggestion would be to strip the carb and clean it out meticulously. still worth, as Stovebolt suggests, making sure the hub nuts are good and tight if the splines are ok, will save you money in the future.

On reassembling the carb, make sure you get wide open throttle with the go pedal on the floor for maximum throttle range.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO