lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default 2007 ST350 Brakes arent great

Any suggestions on a brake kit? They aren’t super tight to begin with, and yesterday the parking brake stopped engaging all of a sudden.

Or am I better off trying to adjust them?
Mrjonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2007 ST350 Brakes arent great

Anyone?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I'm familiar with Yamaha's, but I believe the brakes are very similar. Disassemble, and if the shoes and drums are worn, replace. All new parts make a BIG difference in stopping, and will last a long time. For brake parts, I use OEM Yamaha, but aftermarket may work in your case.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I'm familiar with Yamaha's, but I believe the brakes are very similar. Disassemble, and if the shoes and drums are worn, replace. All new parts make a BIG difference in stopping, and will last a long time. For brake parts, I use OEM Yamaha, but aftermarket may work in your case.
Appreciate it
Old 01-18-2018, 01:13 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjonman View Post
They aren’t super tight to begin with, and yesterday the parking brake stopped engaging all of a sudden.
This sounds like you have had a frozen brake cable or both brake cables, particularly where you say " the parking brake stopped engaging all of a sudden" That is usually a cable has snapped. Check these out and if you have a broken cable, replace BOTH cables, set up the brakes properly (new linings if worn) and you will be good to go!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
This sounds like you have had a frozen brake cable or both brake cables, particularly where you say " the parking brake stopped engaging all of a sudden" That is usually a cable has snapped. Check these out and if you have a broken cable, replace BOTH cables, set up the brakes properly (new linings if worn) and you will be good to go!

Sorry I should’ve stated that the parking brake won’t stay engaged, the lever grabs but pops loose
Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

underneath the floor on the bottom of the brake pedal, there is a metal block that engages on a pawl. If this has come loose, then all you need to do is adjust and tighten it. If it is ok, i still suspect a broken cable maybe. If there is no tension on the pedal, it will not engage as the spring on the actuator will not hold it in place.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #8
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
underneath the floor on the bottom of the brake pedal, there is a metal block that engages on a pawl. If this has come loose, then all you need to do is adjust and tighten it. If it is ok, i still suspect a broken cable maybe. If there is no tension on the pedal, it will not engage as the spring on the actuator will not hold it in place.
I looked last night and it appears the parking break lever grabs the metal block and then just slips off.

Brakes work when just applying them normally, not locking the tires up necessarily but work enough that I don’t believe there is a snapped cable.

Once I get the electrical stuff figured out (see other thread) i’ll Focus on the brake and then installing the new body.

Appreciate the input
Old 01-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

It may also be just a seized/frozen cable or link. Worth a good look around as it sounds like there is not enough tension to hold the locking mechanism tight. Might just be adjustment and overhaul on the brakes. sometimes the self adjusters dont work and need a good clean/refurb. You can adjust them manually with a screwdriver through the hole in the drum but ideally a thorough overhaul is the answer.

Get someone to push the brake pedal down and back up several times to see what moves and what does not underneath the cart. If you do a lot of trail riding, muck can get in the cables and make them drag.

If it is just the pedal slipping off the block but the brakes are tensioning ok, then maybe the hook, needs reshaping a little with a file or the block needs adjusting slightly?

I will take a look at your other thread later or tomorrow and see if i can help there too.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
Mrjonman
Gone Wild

Yea when just rolling the cart backwards I can hear what sounds like the driver side brake pad rubbing so I’m pretty sure I just need to give the whole thing a good once over.

The cart sat for 1.5 years, outside, so it couldn’t hurt to just freshen them up like I’ve done everything else.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO