lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 flooding badly

My 1997 G16 has been a wonder all these many years. Replaced the ignition coil twice but that is about all.

Suddenly, it started running rough and barely got it home from the mail box. Air filter box was full of gas.

Compression 155, blue spark.

Removed and disassembled carb and found nothing obviously wrong. Cleaned with carb cleaner. Float valve seems to work on lung pressure. A little junk in the bottom of the carb bowl but far less than I anticipated after 22 years.

Really didn't do much more than spray clean the carb in and out but don't see anything to fix.

Tried again and started right up and then flooded out with raw gas in filter box.

Suggestions?
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2019, 02:08 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 flooding badly

Get a new OEM needle valve, it costs about $16. Totally worth it. Whatever you do, Do Not buy a $30 Amazon/ebay carb! keep your original one, much higher quality! The rubber tip on the needle valve gets a ridge worn in it, and stops sealing. It's not much of a ridge, but it makes all the difference in the world. Seen this before, a thousand times. Trust me, I been at this for over a decade.

The OEM carb costs about $240, so any cheap carb is not real Yamaha stuff. just get a needle valve for yours.

I work at the dealer, trust this, we aren't marking up the china $30 ones to $240. We can't use those junkers either.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

Thanks!

Got a part number and source? Never had to buy much for this cart.

This thing went from running fine to coughing up gas. Any thoughts on why this should have failed so suddenly?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Part number JN5-14150-00-00
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Get a new OEM needle valve, it costs about $16.

The rubber tip on the needle valve gets a ridge worn in it, and stops sealing. It's not much of a ridge, but it makes all the difference in the world. Seen this before, a thousand times.
OK, got the $16 float valve replaced this afternoon. Perhaps I can see the ridge you describe on the old one . . . maybe not.

Engine starts right up, runs for 20 seconds and coughs up a quarter cup of gas into the air filter box just like before.

I cannot even imagine what is happening. It is pumping at least the contents of the bowl, maybe more up in a couple seconds, like under pressure.

The cart has been running perfect and this happened suddenly.

Next suggestion please.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Part number JN5-14150-00-00

I think CG has the baest answer, getba new needle.....
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

New needle installed. No change in problem.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd pull the carb apart and clean it really well. Blow everything out with compressed air. Make sure the vent line isn't plugged up. Clean the seat for the needle valve with a q tip dipped in a bit of gas, I chuck it in a drill and lightly polish the seat like that.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Did you drain the oil and put back in 1 qt? If it's not the carb, the only other possible thing would be the fuel pump feeding gas gas thru the "pulser" line, but highly unlikely.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #10
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

I have cleaned the carburetor with brake cleaner and air in all orifices. Have not cleaned the float valve seat. Next.

This is not just running rich, it is a couple oz of gas being blown out the air intake in a couple seconds.

Thought of broken ring or stuck valve blow back since so much gas comes out so quickly but checked compression and get about 160.

I will have to research the terms 'vent line' and 'pulser line' but all tubing was replaced a year or so ago. Interval and operation for many months would say that lines are correct. Anyone got a quick link to an appropriate diagram?

Oil is fairly new but might smell of gas but there has been so much gas around that might not be an accurate statement.

Other suggestions appreciated
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha