lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Secondary clutch compression trick

Necessity being the mother of invention, and me not having a clutch compression tool, I improvised using one of the two basic tools in everyone’s shop...duct tape. This was on a Yamaha G22, but I’m sure it will work on many other applications. Starting with a 4 1/2” long by 3/4” diameter bolt in a vise, next a flat washer then your spring seat, spring and sliding sheave followed by another flat washer and the nut.(obviously the spring is placed in the proper holes for your desired performance) Tighten the nut till there’s just enough room to move the sliding sheave ramps over the ramp shoes, rotate the sliding sheave into position, (I could hold it with one hand, but its a little tricky) then tighten the nut down till the ramp tops are even with the plastic shoe tops(slightly more compressed than Its normal position when on the cart). Take the assembly out of the vise and turn it over, then tape across one side of the sheave face, up over the spring seat, and back around to the other side of the sheave face. I put one strip of tape on each side of every flat of the nut holding it all together. Be sure to not put the tape past the flat part of the sheave face in the center or getting it out when you release it will be very difficult.(I know the tape in the pic was past the slope line, but I trimmed it after with a utility knife) Also trim the tape around the back of the spring seat about 1/4” wider than the hole. Once done, remove the nut and bolt from the assembly, the tape will hold it in place. Now you can take your compressed clutch and assemble the unit in proper order, starting with the metal splined spacer or snap ring if you still have that, then the taped assembly, then the plastic spacer washer, the Woodruff key, the fixed sheave, and the washer and the nut and tighten to specs. Once all that is done, you can cut the tape and release the compressed sheave to its normal position. Peel the tape off of everything and make sure no adhesive residue is left on the sheave face, if so, clean off with a cloth with some carb cleaner or goof off. Roll on your belt and you’re back in business. Don’t forget to grease the bushing. Easy peasy. My apologies if someone else has already thought of this and posted it. I did a fair amount of searching and never found any techniques to help solve this issue. I hope this helps other DIY mechanics without a spare set of hands.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
grantspec
Getting Wild

Default Re: Secondary clutch compression trick

Nice work! I also struggled with this so I made a tool to get the job done and bought a clutch retainer tool.

Here is where I documented my method:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...made-easy.html

I like your method too! And its cheaper than buying the $60 retainer tool.
grantspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well, I am a Scotsman, and we are notorious for our frugality, so cheaper is always near the top of the list.��
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
jdavila99999
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantspec View Post
Nice work! I also struggled with this so I made a tool to get the job done and bought a clutch retainer tool.

Here is where I documented my method:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...made-easy.html

I like your method too! And its cheaper than buying the $60 retainer tool.

I used a ratchet strap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdavila99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha