lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
pmcarbee
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Yamaha battery draining

I have a G1 Yamaha golf cart. I don’t have any accessories hooked up to the battery. After I run my G1 for 15 to 20 minutes and the engine is hot if I turn it off, I cannot restart it. When I checked the voltage of the battery it’s dropped a couple volts. I have replaced the voltage regulator. Also, when I turn my ignition key to the on position the cart clicks as if it’s trying to start without touching it. Reverse in Forward work fine so I don’t think it’s the Silinoids. I had read somewhere they could be a delay box but when I research the laborers I’m not finding any part that is called a delay box I don’t know if it could be the CDI box?? Or if there’s something else I could be slightly draining the battery and then causing it not to start after the engine has run hot?? Please any help is greatly appreciated.
pmcarbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Yamaha battery draining

Does it restart after it cools? ...or do you need to recharge the battery?
My drove me nuts for a year chasing a “no charge” issue.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
Does it restart after it cools? ...or do you need to recharge the battery?
My drove me nuts for a year chasing a “no charge” issue.
What was your issue? I have been chasing one myself.
crazyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:06 AM   #4
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjc View Post
What was your issue? I have been chasing one myself.
To be honest, I’m not sure..but this is what I know-

I hooked up a voltage meter on the battery while driving and watched the voltage. The SG was not charging the battery. It would slowing peter out until too dead to go. After replacing the SG, battery, regulator..no joy. I metered all wiring and no joy. Then one day I was diddling with the negative battery cable and noticed it was broken away from the terminal lug and was hanging on by a strand or two. A meter would show continuity, but it could not carry a high amperage load. I replaced it at the same time I reassembled a lot of stuff...so was that it? ...maybe.
The G1 is a weird beast because the negative battery cable does NOT bolt to the frame like every other vehicle on the planet. So I’d start by checking all the fat cables closely..
Mine only goes dead now every time we have a cold night, which appears to be a bad battery. I bought a cheaply volt meter and wired it in to keep an eye on charging and it has been flawless.
Ps- if you have ANY accessories, ie: lights, radio, etc, the need to be wired directly to the battery and not using the frame as a ground path. The negative side of everything gets a dedicated wire returning to the battery.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
crazyjc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I appreciate it!
crazyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbee View Post
I research the laborers I’m not finding any part that is called a delay box I don’t know if it could be the CDI box?? Or if there’s something else I could be slightly draining the battery and then causing it not to start after the engine has run hot?? Please any help is greatly appreciated.
There is a relay on the passenger rear wheel well, above the solenoids. This is not the cdi but is a relay whose purpose is to prevent the cart from starting too quickly when switching from forward to reverse. These can get old and fail when hot. They can be jumped by simply joining the white wires on either side of the relay.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g1 battery issues
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha