lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 Input Shaft Replacement

I started troubleshooting the noise from my drive train and noticed a wobble to the secondary clutch. Chatting with users here I was informed a wobble is NOT GOOD.

The secondary clutch's internal diameter is worn so big it flops on the input shaft. The brass bushing, is nonexistant and the aluminum is even worn away. I measured over 0.03 erosion of the area of the input shaft where this sheeve slides, thereby causing the damage to the clutch.

I ordered, from Don Plowman's, a clutch, updated helix, input shaft, bearings, seals and gasket. The new parts should arrive today.

I disassembled the cart and cleaned up the area and transmission, years and years of crud, and I found a broken transmission mount so I need to fabricate a couple parts and borrow the neighbors welder to repair.

I will post pictures as it goes back together.
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Input Shaft Replacement

Here is a photo of the secondary Clutch ID

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/pict...ictureid=30017

Here are two of the input shaft

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/pict...ictureid=30015
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/pict...ictureid=30050

Here is one of the broken transmission mount on cross bar.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/pict...ictureid=30055

Here is a photo of the existing engine area setup.... Plowman's parts will change the look inside here!!!!

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/pict...ictureid=30012

Thanks for looking! I hope others can learn something by my posts.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:45 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It's really odd how it already has the "snap ring fix" on it, but the housing & bearing is so bad. They just "let it ride" like that?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It's really odd how it already has the "snap ring fix" on it, but the housing & bearing is so bad. They just "let it ride" like that?
I believe it was RIGGED like that a couple owners ago. The guy I got it from had NO IDEA about the mechanics of a cart and said that he installed the 'RED' spring to make the cart go faster. I know now, that spring it stout and will increase torque by making transmission shift later and not increase top speed.

I never saw the cart run before purchase but I was surprised to find a lot of issues that I have! Got it at a good price and now I'm spending to make it a trustworthy cart. Fortunately I am able to turn the wrenches, weld and even machine if necessary and with the assistance of this group, I am learning how to repair and maintain this cart.
Thank you and all here that read these posts and give advise and comments!!!! I for one appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:55 AM   #5
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Transmission is apart and cleaned up. Need to swap helical gear and governor from old input shaft onto the new input shaft then close up the case.
If I can't remove it with a gear puller, I will take it to a local shop and have them do it.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:19 AM   #6
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I got the gear off the old shaft and installed it and the governor on the new one. Placed in case, new gasket and snugged up bolts.

Question... do I need gasket sealer, oil or use a dry gasket?
Old 03-24-2021, 03:45 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

You now need a new gasket, the difference of "skip the gasket & just use silicone" could ruin your transaxle. I'm sorry I cant give the part number for you, the "good ole" oem yamaha parts diagrams website only goes back 10 years now, that sucks.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
You now need a new gasket, the difference of "skip the gasket & just use silicone" could ruin your transaxle. I'm sorry I cant give the part number for you, the "good ole" oem yamaha parts diagrams website only goes back 10 years now, that sucks.
So is the issue of using gasket maker a clearance thing? Is a gasket that much thicker?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I have part # of gasket. "J38-46319-01"

The case is only put together, 'snug', so I can test endplay of shaft. I did not torque the bolts as of yet. I am about to and I want to know if the gasket needs sealer or oil/grease to help it seal.

My question is, do i use a sealer on the gasket or do i install it dry?

Last edited by Jammy; 03-24-2021 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Corrected gasket part number
Old 03-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

It was originally done with no sealer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha