lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
EZGOmywallet
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default lots of questions, and all opinions welcomed

ok, this is my first cart, so I am some what new to everything about it besides the wealth of knowledge available in the "search" on this site.

I have a 92 ezgo 36v (non resistor)..

well first off I am pretty sure I need new batteries and that being said I just want some experienced advice. My batteries charge up to 100%(each battery and as a pack) but they discharge in NO TIME. Is there anything to check for "instant drainage when running the cart " ? The pack holds charge within .2v over a 2 day period with no use, so there is no draw that I would think. I did take my cables off each battery and clean/sanded them well for good connection with no real change in performance.

I noticed the cables looked to be fine from battery to battery, however the ones going from battery to controller (battery end) had green/gray corrosion in the wire between the connector to the insulation from what I could see, as well as the ones coming from my charger connection.

my questions are:

I looked at some sponsor sites at upgrading to 4ga wires I am not sure if they would come with the wires to the controller (for a 92) or not, AND if you would just try that first before replacing batteries. I also wondered if the upgrade to 4ga if you should/need to replace the wires with the same to the controller. If not, I wonder about just replacing the corroded wires to the controller ?

another side note...batteries are 08's with no knowledge of prior maintainance. Also, I just need a few hours in the neighborhood, not golf course run time.

This also brings me to something I have thought about. Sorry sparkies, but in my SHORT golf cart experience in the battery type and from a lot of reading on this site with mods....I already know I want a gas cart. I know everyone on here frowns on the whole 36v= 3 12v batteries, but do you consider doing that to sell it to a non-golfer, sell it with bad batteries, or replace the batteries as you should and MAYBE come out even on your first cart ?

so in short :
anything to check that could be bad on the cart other then cables/batteries ?
replace cables first and which ones, or all ?
batteries and cables period ?
sale as is ?
3 12v's ?

Thanks in advance and all opinions welcomed !
EZGOmywallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: lots of questions, and all opinions welcomed

My .02:

You're gonna sell the cart, so, putting money in it could prove to be a losing situation depending on how much $$$ you paid for it. Tough call. The cart works now, so any buyer can verify it's performance. They should be advised as to the battery life, and the sale price should reflect it. Be flexible.

But before all that, do a load test on each battery.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
EZGOmywallet
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, thanks. It would be the same situation as I bought it, I could load it on the trailor with checking forward and reverse and tell it had no problems. Like I said, I am honest and just want to make sure there is no hidden problems I need to check first. For future reference I have $500 in it with 3 real days worth of time in it.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Figure $600 for a fresh battery pack. Is the cart worth $1100 to you? How about your buyer? It starts getting ugly fast.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
EZGOmywallet
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I hear ya thats why I am stuck. I guess I need to chalk it up to lesson learned on buying elec cart lol
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Batteries are the heart and soul of a sparky. You might change your mind about them if you throw in a fresh pack and keep the cart......
Old 01-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
EZGOmywallet
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

btw, the batteries and charger were worth what I was paying for it...... until I got it home I guess you learn as you go huh ?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
EZGOmywallet
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

and once again that is were I am stuck. For my needs of the cart, new batteries and what I have learned on here about year long maint kinda makes me wonder if I should just invest and keep it. I have a 4-wheeler for my gas needs, I just hate to get upside down on the cart it being a 92' and seeing some of the newer ones and possibilites on here !
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Is this a resistor cart? If so, it's never gonna be a screamer unless major mods are done. But with a good pack and some easy maint, it will be very reliable.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
EZGOmywallet
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

that is one thing I have learned and I got lucky...not a resister cart. You may have talked me into biting the bullet for new batts....and I thought I needed a bunch of opinions :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO