lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need help with tire/wheel choice

Hey guys, I have read and read for days and have looked at a million different wheel/tire combos.

First, if I choose to lift the cart I would want something not high at all. What is the lowest lift? something 2-3 inches if it exists.

back to wheel/tire

The cart has stock wheels (slightly bent) and stock tires. It will be used mostly at drag strip, but my yard is fairly big and kind of steep in places and I would like to be able to use it for yard work.

What would be a good tire choice? I don't want something real knobby. is there kind of an AT tire that has decent grip ability but will roll nice on the street.

Should I or will I have to move to a 10/12 in wheel?

any help with recommended sizez styles would be great. I seem to only be ablte to find low profile street stuff that doesn't require a lift, or 22/23 in tires that need a lift and look like they would not be good on the roads.
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Need help with tire/wheel choice

RonP,

IMO, I would go with the factory E-Z-Go Econ 4 in lift, you didn't say what year or model cart you had but the price is bout the same, $250-$275. It cost a little more than some of the other kits out there but chances are it will bolt on with no problems. They do make a mid rise kit that I believe will get you 2 in. If you plan on the bigger tires, remember the controller/wires/FNR switch/yada/yada. If you do go with the OEM lift, I think MikesMotorToys has a dealer link to E-Z-Go that will get you a discount as well as get him some credit. If you choose another, go check the sponsor link.

For tires, I run the 22in Saharas on 12 in ITPs. Kind of a knobby tread but do OK on the street. Yes they will wear out faster than street tires but I would think it would take a while.

Good luck!
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What year is your cart? If it is a 2001 or newer, you can go with the Factory Mid Rise 2" lift. It's that same kit that comes stock on the 2010 Valor carts. You can use up to a 20" tire with it

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010valorred-1.jpg (8.3 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 2010valorsilver-1.jpg (7.2 KB, 163 views)

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Sounds like to me you don't "need" a lift for your purposes stated. Standard cart tires are available in all types of tread design.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys

Mike it is a 2005 PDS. I have already doen the 4g cables and new batts. I am not sure about a controller yet. I might look into that lift. I would like a little bigger tire, but not interested in 22/23in stuff.

I understand they make all types of tires. guess maybe I was looking for some feedback from someone who has something other than knobby tires.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How about some thing like these ?

http://www.golfcarttirestore.com/low-prof.html

A site sponsor should be able to hook you up.
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

i'd use a 4" drop axle lift with some 10 rims and 22" carlisle all trails. great tires for street, yard work and the occasional riding a trail. I've had a set on my most used cart and they still have way better than half tread going on five years of street and trail riding.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
RonP
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys.
Thanks for the link.
ruredy - that sounds good. Maybe I will look at a lift. decision-decisions all= money. My wife thought the race car and diesel truck were bad enough. the cart was supposed to be simple. LOL
Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
Russ/TN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I stayed with the stock tire diameter and put some carlilse 18X9.50X8 turf savers on the rear of mine.
I like them fine. They let you keep what torque you already have, and give a good bit more grip than the stock tire.
Hums a little bit on the road but not like true knobbies will.
Russ/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO