lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Newbie Restoring a G1

Not sure on the wiring they are all similar though. The engine they tried something new I guess it didn't work they went back to the old design. The ports in the jug and stuff are different could be an issue if you rebuild it. Carb might be different too, sure its been posted here if you search.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #22
jmy102
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I completely rewired my '86 G1 using the wiring diagram I found in the stickies here. Only took a few hours and pulled all the wire individually, then split loomed / electric taped everything. Just an alternate thought, rather than buying a whole new harness....
jmy102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #23
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yep, Yamaha say's both j17-82590-21-00 and updated part# 99999-01220-00 wireharness are discontinued and no stock in any wherhouses JMY102's idea maybe the best plan. PS-sorry for my earlier comment about aftermarket solenoids Guess I didn't look close enough, from the last pictures, you have original j17 solenoids.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
chompy
Getting Wild

One thing to consider here. An 82 cylinder will be marked J17 on the side of it. Yours is marked J10. I checked an 82 cylinder today and it is definately marked J17. You could possibly have an 82 with a J10 cylinder and intake manifold
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:10 AM   #25
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think Chompy is right. The pic of the engine in post#12 looks like the intake has the larger reed cage found on non-1982 engines. The 1982 engine had a smaller reed cage which can be identified by measuring the center-to-center distance on the mounting bolts. I can measure and post dimensions tonight, unless Chompy has them handy. Looks like you have a good base to start from, now the fun begins!
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #26
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Alright. More progress

Here is the frame. I do plan on removing the front end later.

And the Swingarm. (Is it called a swingarm??)

My plan is to start on the rearend. Got me a new sandblaster from harbor freight so I guess the grinding and sanding will begin. Unfortunately I have to work all weekend so my progress will be slowed a bit.

As far as the engine goes, it is stamped J17. I'll post some more pics of it later on.

Things I've learned so far.....
  1. Between my toys and my kids toys I need a bigger garage
  2. My wife doesn't care for an angle grinder running at 1 in the morning
  3. WD-40 is great stuff
ky_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #27
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

LOL! The Polebarn Gods have not smiled upon you yet, or me Good thing my inlaw has a 60'+ one I can visit anytime. Looks great though, they are fun carts I plan to get one somewhere on my large list of things to do. I ran the snot out of them in the 80s it spoiled me for life, don't ever let your kid get a job at a golfcourse with fast gas carts.....and other benefitslike night time driving classes.....I'm off to work on a clone 16hp in a G9 just about done with it hope I can get some videos.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #28
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
LOL! The Polebarn Gods have not smiled upon you yet, or me Good thing my inlaw has a 60'+ one I can visit anytime. Looks great though, they are fun carts I plan to get one somewhere on my large list of things to do. I ran the snot out of them in the 80s it spoiled me for life, don't ever let your kid get a job at a golfcourse with fast gas carts.....and other benefitslike night time driving classes.....I'm off to work on a clone 16hp in a G9 just about done with it hope I can get some videos.
Just got done reading through your thread. Looks like fun. Can't wait to see the videos.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #29
Hotsyhog
Not Yet Wild

If you need motor mounts, there is some really cheap on Ebay! I just redid my G1 last week and spent $28 dollars for all 4 motor mounts shipped. I think there are still a few left. Just letting you know.... Have fun.....I just purchased another G1 and am picking it up next weekend. Needs a motor overhaul....
Hotsyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #30
ky_mike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsyhog View Post
If you need motor mounts, there is some really cheap on Ebay! I just redid my G1 last week and spent $28 dollars for all 4 motor mounts shipped. I think there are still a few left. Just letting you know.... Have fun.....I just purchased another G1 and am picking it up next weekend. Needs a motor overhaul....

Hope it's in better shape than what I'm starting with

I've been checking eBay everyday for parts, but I think I'm getting ahead of my self. Just going to work on the frame and obtaining/fabricating a wire harness for now. I did tear all the shrouds off of the engine just to check it out...

Yeah, she's a beauty alright. Definitely gonna need some TLC. About the only engines I have actually torn down and worked on before are r/c aircraft engines (like I said, I am new at this) the compression seems good so I'm hoping to just clean it up and slap it back in, but I have also been thinking why not rebuild it while I have it out. Decisions decisions.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha