lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
jhhowell
Not Yet Wild

Default Another Battery Question!

I have a set of 9 yr old 6 volt Trojan batteries (not in use)...most take a charge and some don't. My question is can you drain a battery completely and refill it with electrolyte or do you use a mixture of electrolyte and distilled water? If so, what are the proportions? I'm trying to link two of them to provide a heavy duty backup to start my generator.
Thanks in advance to this most knowledgable team.
Jim
jhhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Another Battery Question!

Here ya go, SpoiledRotten just did it, here read about it---

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

UNLESS YOU ARE A COMMERCIAL BATTERY COMPANY that can recycle acid and lead etc I would not want to tangle with DEQ and the heavy fines they impose? The biggest problem with trying to redo an old battery is that the separators between plates break down and allow shorting out? I have seen some old style batterys ( hard case not plastic ) brought back to a SHORT SEMI LIFE by pounding on outside of case with rubber or plastic headed hammer, this CAN POSSIBLY dislodge some sulfates built up on plates and break contacts between shorted plates for a time, then draining acid out while bouncing battery around causing a flush of sorts? Then replacing with new acid alone ( NO WATER ) Now what do you do with acid? Most waste sights will only take unbroken batterys, NO ACID LEAKING and at very high costs? Disposal would be LEGALLY ONLY through HAZARDOUS WASTE SIGHTS ONLY and I'm sure costs would be more than a new battery?
In the old days one of my jobs in garage where I trained was to replace cells in hard rubber case batterys and unless you want to end up blind or needing skin grafts you need complete acid ressistant clothes and eye coverings? I personally wouldn't try any of the witch-scam type cures as I dont want a battery blowing up in my face as I have seen happen?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
jhhowell
Not Yet Wild

Thanks "Old Mec". Convinced me! Fortunately, I just bought a new set and don't need these. When you're old, handicapped and retired you get these hair-brained schemes without really thinking them through. You keep on keepin' me straight. It is much appreciated.
Jim
jhhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhowell View Post
Thanks "Old Mec". Convinced me! Fortunately, I just bought a new set and don't need these.
Your old cores are worth money at the recycling center. Should get at least $5 each for them and it gets them out of the garage.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

JHHOWELL-- Sounds like your my era of person, older than 65, born early 1930s, disabled vet, forced retiree, needing some thing to keep mind from turning to mush, not yet dead for some unknown reason, but still loving life when pain is not too bad, and check OBITS every day for your name?
Have a good day Jim
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car