lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
lakerattx
Not Yet Wild

Default Textron Charger Auto-Shutoff

I've owned my 90 36v Marathon for a few years and have fixed and upgraded a ton with the help of this forum. However I've never been able to figure out why my Textron charger will not auto shut off. I've left it running for many hours and verified that my batts are fully charged using a hydrometer, a volt meter and the trojan charging guide. A neighbor with the same issue took his to a local repair shop and was told that the problem was with the cart and not the charger..sounds like a load of crap.

Is there any way of testing my charger (or cart) to determine what the heck the problem is? The attached pic is identical to my charger. Also, replaced my batteries last fall. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Textron.jpg (22.0 KB, 12 views)
lakerattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Textron Charger Auto-Shutoff

We need some hard info.
Type of batteries
Individual Battery Voltage and S/G readings before charge
Highest voltage and S/G readings during charge

I am going to assume ALL cable and charger connections are very clean and tight.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
lakerattx
Not Yet Wild

These are Sams Interstate batteries. Brand new 4 gauge cables and all connections are tight and clean.

The batteries are fully charged. The specific gravity on all cells is above 1.300. Voltage readings on the batteries are between 6.33 and 6.37, total voltage 38.1
Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
rib33024

You say you let the charger run for MANY hours, what is many hours??

And how long did you let the batteries sit off the charger, before you took these reading
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
lakerattx
Not Yet Wild

I've left the charger running for 8 hours even though I was sure that they didnt need charging. The readings in my previous post were taken 2 days after charging for just a few hours.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
lakerattx
Not Yet Wild

The charger has now been running for 6 hours since I posted the S/G and voltage readings this morning and the Amp meter on the charger is almost bottomed out near 0.. Those batteries HAVE to be fully charged by now, right? Why does the charger not shut off?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
bolter
Not Yet Wild

I can't remember the exact timing, but the timing relay I believe will auto shut off after 10 hours. You are bottomed out at almost 0 as the finishing charge for the batteries. eventually it should time out and shut completely off, but it's not just because the voltages are up.
bolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
lakerattx
Not Yet Wild

Sorry I should have clarified. The charger actually will shutoff when the timer hits 0. Its the auto sensing shutoff that is broken.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

On that charger you turn it to start and it tells you how many hours it took to charge. It was geared towards golf courses, so the mechanic could walk down the line in the morning and check the carts easy.

That timer had problems, I'd 86 it, and put a lester electronic timer in it and be done forever.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
lakerattx
Not Yet Wild

I agree that an electronic timer would be superior but I was unable to find an inexpensive conversion kit. I ordered a new OEM power board for $70 with shipping.

Thanks fixer!

Tags
charger, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO