lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
screamin chicken
Getting Wild

Default going slower

I have a 07 CC Precedent my friend= has a 08 we have the same speed control lift wheels we both have been radared im going 19 and his is going 17 but he always stay way in front of me and I never catch him until we go up hill then I slowly catch and pass him to where he cant catch me. Now my other friend has a stock DS and just put all new batteries that had not been fully charge and same thing hes way out in front and i cant catch him now. I havwe 08 Trojans and they all read almost 13. I am using tap water and I checked and I do nee to add the water is at the top of the plates but I am sure this has nothing to dio with it. I free roll my cart but i may also back off the brake a little more just to make sure.
screamin chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
screamin chicken
Getting Wild

Default Re: going slower

water level was on the top of the plates on just abpout all of them, topped them off to the bottom of the opening and Im charging now ill report back.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can see some real fun competition between the three of you as long as you are all very careful and keep it safe. What you need to do is do like the racers do and eliminate the easy fixes first and then depending on what you can afford go from there? What battery voltage ( 8 v or 12 v ) are each of you running? A 8 volt powered battery pack, properly broken in and maintained ( NEVER USE TAP WATER ONLY DISTILLED WATER 1/4" above top of plates only after waiting at least one hour AFTER CHARGING to allow batterys to cool down ) will have more range and last longer and use less distilled water. This can make a big difference depending also on many other factors including battery age, proper break in on new bat, controller settings "VERY IMPORTANT ON IQ" , add on equipment weight and wind resistance, tread design, tread width, tire pressure just to name a few? Just like any production auto you will find that each car has a different speed and torque even though they are produced at same time. Minor differences like front wheel alignment ( toe in and camber ), condition of front wheel bearings ( wheels should spin freely when off ground ), brake drag, tire pressure ( set to highest allowed on tire side wall for speed runs only ) top and windshield if folding type put down OR better yet eliminate for speed runs, eliminate any extra weight such as golf clubs, coolers, rear seats and HD springs, extra passengers ( if like me a few less pounds wouldnt hurt either ) etc. If you really want to get race happy things like adding controller set at max setting or higher amp rated controller, 4 or even 2 guage welding multi strand cables all around, HD solenoid, narrow tread large diameter tires set at max pressure and light weight wheels, eliminate hub caps, windshield and top, drop cart as low as possible to ground ( at least or even below stock ) and anything else you can think of to lower drag. If you can afford it higher HP and RPM motor helps alot? There are so many things that can be done to wipe out your "FRIENDS" carts? After all its only a friendly race???? GO GO GO OUT THERE AND LEAVE THEM IN YOUR DUST
Your friend has more ability to get off the line first but when hill climbing you have more power through the range and can catch him.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

SC, what set up do you have.... type of controller, lift, tire size, speed code 2,3,4, and motor? Also what color are the Trojans, all black or red?
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
reboot
Not Yet Wild

Old Mec, good info in your post! I'm glad you picked up on the OP's "tap water" comment. I just purchased my first cart (2002 Club Car Villager) and I'm certain someone in the past used crappy water in the batteries. I'm in the process of determining the overall condition of the batteries and trying to get them to a point where I can wait a while before replacing. I'm enjoying all the good info I have found on this site.
Reboot
reboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
screamin chicken
Getting Wild

Thanks old mec a lot of useful info our carts are the exact same. I do have all black Trojan CC batteries 12V, I have 12 in. wheels with the 22x11x12 tires with a jakes 6 in lift, and factory controller that CC came out a programmed for max speed.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I dont personally have any contact with the "BLACK 12 V Trojans" but from what I am reading they are not lasting very long and poor on power and may even be rejects or seconds?? So I would recommend doing a hydrometer test of each cell with ( single float temperature correcting scale hydrometer ) NOT a antifreeze multi-float unit and see what condition they are really in? Refer to STICKIES "State Of Charge Readings" for specific gravity and pack voltage and indivigual bat voltage and if in doubt post all readings. If that shows up as good get a "LOAD TEST" done to confirm.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have the same batteries. These are recycled batteries that Trojan stiff armed Club Car with in 07/08. Below is a copy of the "low down". But do not worry because I have the same batteries which are going on to 4 years now and charging/running strong. By the looks of it, yours are doing well if you are at 19mph which is about right with your set up. Thats the same speed I was running before going to PQ motor. Now 26. Anyhow, as Old Mec recommends, I would go ahead and load test them. Give me a second and I will post a thread which may help you with the load test if you dont have a hydrometer. The thread will also show you the numbers your batteries should be at. Heres the "black battery" fiasco:

After what I just found out, I'm going to load test my entire pack then load test each battery individually just to make sure. Just found out that in 07, Trojan batteries put in left over/ recycled batteries in 07/08 Club Cars for some reason (these are the black top 12v batteries in some of our 07/08 CC's which of course, I have). This cost CC a ton of money in warranty and recall issues since those black top batteries could not hold up charge especially under load and causing all other sorts of problems. CC as a payback it seems then decided to stick it to them by going with Crown and US Batteries regardless of Trojans intent to thereafter lower their prices in attempt to win back CC's business. Because of this experience with Trojan, they decided to diversify to these 2 companies eventually going to one battery company after a trail year. Now, I find out that Crown and US Batteries are having some of their own issues due to thin/thinning plates in their batteries. Apparently their is talk that CC will be going back to Trojan. This whole ordeal is one of the reasons why CC is going back to the 8v 6battery application. I was also told that I am very lucky to have had those batteries for so long and even reach speeds of 26 mph. This particular company has also experienced, at hand, an enormous amount of clients coming to them with these recycled black top Trojan Batteries not holding up. Most of them were under 3 months old. Who would of thought? That explains why the abrupt change to Crown/US all of a sudden. This cost Trojan a major client, lets see what happens. Apparently, other then this downfall and poor strategy decision by Trojan, and those black top batteries, it seems that they are the best battery out there.

PS. please do not kill the messenger, that's all I am. But the source that I got this info from, extremely legit, trust me.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here our my load test results that was approved by members and PQ. I think you say that you were around 12.8 at rest which is good. Look and see how it handles under load.

As some of you know, I just got my new purple installed yesterday. Setup is 08 CC Precedent IQ on 6' lift, 22' tires, stock controller, stock cables and PQ "the bandit" motor. My top speed is 26 mph. Some of you asked about battery condition so I decided to load test them in series as well as individually. Method was to connect meter with alligator clips to - mount leading to solenoid and + mount leading to OBC to test in series. Next, connected meter to - and + battery mounts individually. First reading was taken while batteries were at rest, then under load (noted lowest meter reading point after flooring it followed by highest meter reading point). Please let me know your thoughts. These are the results:

At rest:
In series 50.8
Individually 12.6 12.7 12.7 12.7

Under load:
In series
1st reading 43.6
2nd reading 47.5

Under load:
Individually
1st reading 11.1 11.1 11.1 11.1
2nd reading 11.8 11.8 11.8 11.9

Cables and motor were cool/warm after testing.

thx
Old 11-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #10
screamin chicken
Getting Wild

Thanks that is exactly wanted to hear i'll call CC in the morning and see if I'm still in warranty. After I load tested today 3 of the 4 were hi 10 and one was a 10.4, so whats the PQ motor and how much is it, will it kill my batteries faster.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car