lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
MJE
Not Yet Wild

Default How can I tell if my charger is working properly?

My batteries died last winter, and I think it may have been the charger. Sometimes, you have to play with the plug (i.e. unplug it and replug it in) to get it to start charging? Is there a way to diagnose whether the charger needs to be replaced? Can they be repaired? If so, who would I take it to? Thanks!
MJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How can I tell if my charger is working properly?

Having to plug in and replug to get the charger to start on an ezgo TXT usually means worn radsoks. These are the receptacle connection lugs in the cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE View Post
My batteries died last winter, and I think it may have been the charger. Sometimes, you have to play with the plug (i.e. unplug it and replug it in) to get it to start charging? Is there a way to diagnose whether the charger needs to be replaced? Can they be repaired? If so, who would I take it to? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Having to plug in and replug to get the charger to start on an ezgo TXT usually means worn radsoks. These are the receptacle connection lugs in the cart.
Maybe I'm misreading the OP, but to be sure, many of the OEM chargers out there DO NOT have a "maintain" function and require the charger to be disconnected and reconnected to start a charge cycle.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE View Post
I may have too? I read "play with the plug" as having a poor connection.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

From the EZGO Owner's Manual and Service Guide:
Quote:
BATTERY PROLONGED STORAGE
All batteries will self discharge over time. The rate of self discharge varies depending on the ambient temperature and the age and condition of the batteries.
A fully charged battery will not freeze in winter temperatures unless the temperature fallsbelow -75° F (-60° C).
For winter storage, the batteries must be clean, fully charged and disconnected from any source of electrical drain. The battery charger and the controller are both sources of electrical drain.
Unplug the battery charger DC plug from the vehicle receptacle.

On PDS vehicles, disconnect the controller from the battery set by selecting the ‘TOW/MAINTENANCE’ position on the RUN-TOW/MAINTENANCE SWITCH located under the passenger seat.

As with all electric vehicles, the batteries must be checked and recharged as required or at a minimum of 30 day intervals.
Unless you know for sure your charger has a maintain feature, (IE: Trickle charge or automatically initiates a charge cycle when the battery voltage drops below a specified point) follow the EZGO directions.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO