lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
buggysean
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 3 wheel electric cart moves when i put it in r or f,w/out touching the gas pedal.

My 82 3 wheel electric cart moves when i put it in reverse or forward, when i dont touch the gas pedal??? I need some troubleshooting advice please, unless this is an easy tell for you by what its doing...
Thanks all ahead of time..
buggysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 3 wheel electric cart moves when i put it in r or f,w/out touching the gas pe

This issue has come up recently here on the forum and I lost track of that thread but anyhow... Check your wiper arm (the one that moves by a linkage connected to the go pedal) and make sure it is free to return when pedal is released.

Also look at the round copper contacts that it swipes and check them to make sure they are sitting tight in the board and not wiggling loose possibly touching the next contact/possibly arced over and welded together etc.

Each of these contacts (except the bottom one)will have a cable going to the resistor assembly. (unless the resistors are somehow directly bolted to them like I saw on one of the pictures earlier).

More ideas to come...

Barna
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 82 3 wheel electric cart moves when i put it in r or f,w/out touching the gas pe

I found the images of the throttle contacts scotty posted in the other thread.Thanks scotty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3299.jpg (8.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4889.jpg (7.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
jonnymoon5
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The issue also may be your solenoid being welded open. This seems to happen whenever the cart's batteries are freshly replaced and the voltage is higher than it was used to. If the resistor coils are heating up when the cart is parked, then it is either the wiper that 72 volt ezgo said about, or the solenoid. The way to check would be to check the voltage on all points of the solenoid, and visually inspect all connections. If the issue is not resolved and the coils are heating up, it can become extremely dangerous and can burn up the cart and the building it is stored in.
Disconnect it if you haven't and you aren't near it or working on it.

hope this helps
jonnymoon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
buggysean
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72volt_ezgo View Post
I found the images of the throttle contacts scotty posted in the other thread.Thanks scotty!
It seems the picture on the left is the issue. Thank you fine Sir. I took a small finger nail file it was thin enough to go in between the circle contacts and take out the metal fusing them together... Now i turned it on worked great, then i heard an ark under the seat and it was welded together again....causing the cart obviously to move when put in gear again w/out touching gas pedal... It looks like the contact from the wiper arm, the one that swipes across the staionary ones when the go pedal is pressed, is warn and breaking down, i think pieces of it are coming off and sticking in between the staionary contacts. can i clean that up and get the loose junk off? and where is the cheapest place to get a replacement? Thanks so much for your time!!!
buggysean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok then that's what's happening. The moving contact is so worn that the spring tension is not sufficient to press it against the other ones so current does not have a solid path to go through there without welding on the way.
(or just falling apart like you mentioned)
I'm sorry I can't help you with where to get the parts but you either find a local (to you) golfcart place or some of the guys here sell stuff and they will help you when they read this.
Barna

Tags
1982, electric, ez go, ezgo, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO