lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
ystergarde
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default Re: batteryminder batt restorer conditioner

When a battery discharges the sulfuric acid is absorbed by the lead plates, which in turn creates LEAD SULFATE - ALWAYS! The sulfate is the product of the chemical reaction - ALWAYS! If the battery is not immediately charged or fully charged to return the acid to the electrolyte, in time the sulfate will become crystilized. When this occurs, your regular charger will not break up these crystals and return them into the electrolyte. The build up of sulfate causes resistance which is not recognized by your charger. So the charger will keep pumping amperage into the sulfated battery trying to charge them which causes boil over. This causes loss of water. Your specific gravity will also drop over time as the acid builds up on the plates. This becomes a vicious cycle and kills the batteries. The BatteryMINDer sends random pulse current through the batteries which loosens the sulfate and allows it to return to the electrolyte, thus improving the specific gravity and eliminating resistance. This unit is a/c powered and also acts as a smart charger. Obviously, there is a point of no return with severly sulfated batteries. Please do your RESEARCH before you knock a product with a proven track record!
ystergarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Proven track record?

Proven by whom? The manufacturer?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
ystergarde
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Independent testing
Old 05-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Independent testing does not equal a proven track record. A proven track record would be reports from courses north and south showing their ROI as compared to the same fleet with the same batteries in years past.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #25
ystergarde
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

The "Golf Cart" edition BatteryMINDer has only been in production for about a year. I believe at least 50 Villager's can attest to the fact that it works! The Aviation Specific model has been in production for over 5 years. These units are "HIGHLY" recommend by several manufacturers including Concorde Battery, one of the most highly rated companies in the industry. Here's a link for an article in The Aviation Consumer Magazine. http://batteryminders.com/forms/mast...-in-a-walk.pdf
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
If you properly break-in, maintain, and store your batteries, you won't need to spend money on tricks and smokey deals.
I agree with this and I am somewhat skeptical of the whole de-sulphation thing. I know there is something there from reading, but I have never seen a real world change to a pack with real numbers. I did try out a buddies Battery Life Saver with no signs of improvement to an aging pack.

That said, I have read some interesting aricles on the Battery Minder and I bought one for each of my two carts. My main motive was to keep the pack fully charged while I am away for extended periods. I have never been completely comfortable leaving my bulk charger plugged in while I am not around (maybe just me). If I get some desulphation en route that is a bonus.

I suspect I will not be able to ascertain any data that is qualitative about the BMs ability to restore my batteries as one pack is new and one is two years old, but in great shape. I took the cart (02 CC DS with 8 6v T105s) with the two year old pack out to document some voltage numbers just in case and she ran out to 53 miles with an ending SOC of just under 50% or 48.2 volts. That is pretty good IMO, so I will not hold it against the BM if that does not improve :).
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #27
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Discharge test results from a heavily sulfated SLA battery. Test 2 was after two weeks on a battery minder. Test 3 was one month later.
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12V_5AH_SLA_TEST3.jpg (190.6 KB, 0 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
toledojeeper
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have been using a BatteryMinder on my 48V Club Car and in the 2 weeks I have had it it has improved my run times.
toledojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #29
DJBlade
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know one thing. If it works for you, use it. A buddy of mine swears using epsom salt works. I laughed at him. I work at a cart place and we have the equipment to put loads on batteries and drain them down then test them. He had 7 year old batteries that he has been maintaining with a desulphation unit and epsom salts. I hooked them up to the machine, drained them, tested them, and they all tested good except for one. (the reason he wanted me to test them ) It works for him....7 year old batteries running strong. They were Trojan T-875's. I was blown away....
DJBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBlade View Post
...that he has been maintaining with a desulphation unit and epsom salts.
Can you describe his maintenance? How often does he add the epsom salts? How much at a time?

I understand the science behind it, and ran a set of "reconditioned" Trojans when I first got my cart 10 years ago (I suspect this epsom salt trick is what the dealer did to "recondition" them). But within a year, those same batteries were dogs. I didn't do the epsom salt trick again, as I gave the cart away.
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car