lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dash questions on installation and type

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
That is an antenna. It does not conect to the head unit's power source, as the aerial jack is insulated from the chassis and thereby insulated from ground. In a typical motor vehicle application, if you touch the + lead of a meter to the power wire and the - lead to the metal of the radio's chassis while it is hooked to power, you will complete a circuit and be able to read voltage. The aerial's jack is insulated because of this. If the ground contacts the aerial's signal wire, you get a whining feedback noise. Mount your aerial any way you like, but do not ground your 12v radio to your 36v battery pack. It will not like that!
Every automotive antenna I've seen is connected by a coax cable, and the radio chassis and the coax shield are both connected to your battery negative. That's how all automotive stereos and antennas are. Yours might be a marine one though. I'd still check to see if you have lit up your frame, by checking with a meter from the frame and to each battery.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll check when I get a chance, but since it's not singing, I can't imagine it's grounded to anything but the 12v stand-alone. Seems after a couple of years of being grounded to the 36v, the head unit would be dead by now. It's not a marine unit, though. The thing cost $40 new probably six years ago. It was in my Jeep before it got rear-ended. Rampage I think is the brand name.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

When I bought mine, it was negative grounded by the headlights. It didn't blow anything up. It's not an automatic death sentence, but it's still not recommended.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
porthole
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis gunter View Post
I have a Sony DSX-MS60 radio
Is there any special wiring I need to buy to connect the speakers? Do they sell the plugs I can put the RCA ends on and connect and use the standard speaker wire to run to the speakers?

Not sure how to connect these...Any advice is greatly appreciated?
Every Sony I have had is wired the same.
One pair of RCA jacks for both front and rear speakers. And a separate RCA lead for subwoofer output. The speaker wires are part of the big connector full of wires.

Also has inputs for remote control.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthole View Post
One pair of RCA jacks for both front and rear speakers. And a separate RCA lead for subwoofer output. The speaker wires are part of the big connector full of wires.

Never had a Sony, but I've never seen RCA jacks as powered speaker outputs. All I've seen are pre-amp outputs, and wouldn't do anything if the speaker were wired to them, without an amp.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
porthole
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
One pair of RCA jacks for both front and rear speakers Amps And a separate RCA lead for subwoofer Ampoutput. The speaker wires are part of the big connector full of wires.

I left out the words "amp".
And I don't know where the edit button is.
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I left out the words "amp".
And I don't know where the edit button is.
I understood you, but was clarifying. I don't think the post below would have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
I'm sure you have a spare VCR or DVD signal cable laying around somewhere, right? Fold it in half and cut it. You now have 6 RCA to bare wire adapters. You can even get all fancy, schmancy and crimp spade terminals to the bare ends to hook up the speakers, if you'd rather not solder the connections.
But given what the original poster said, I can see the cause for confusion. I've seen old cheap (crap) home stereo systems that used RCA jacks for powered speaker outputs. But those were all-in-one systems, where the speakers and the box came as a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis gunter View Post
I have a Sony DSX-MS60 radio I am installing in the cart. From the back of the radio the power connections and speaker connections are evident, however the speaker connections have a RCA type plug, but the Sony Dual Cone Speakers (6 1/2") that I have have the standard speaker type wire.

Is there any special wiring I need to buy to connect the speakers? Do they sell the plugs I can put the RCA ends on and connect and use the standard speaker wire to run to the speakers?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
But given what the original poster said, I can see the cause for confusion. I've seen old cheap (crap) home stereo systems that used RCA jacks for powered speaker outputs.
Interesting observation. I can post the word "crap", but get censored if I mention that I drive my cart up an earthen embankment that impounds water in our lake. The three letter word that begins with a "D", ends in "M", and has an "A" in the middle is apparently a bad word, and gets converted to "***"?!?!?!?

FWIW, the "bad" word, which is used on radio and TV all the time, is a four letter word, and ends with an "N".

Still love this site.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO