lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Johno7656
Not Yet Wild

Default What hardware to use to connect batteries and contactors?

I have done some searching on this topic and I have not found my answer.

I have a 1991 EZGO that I am doing a complete re-build and I am now coming up on the part where I install the electrics. I am trying to determine what is the best hardware to use to make the connections to the batteries and other high amperage devices and I need some advice.

If I use standard hardware store nuts and bolts, they will rust and or corrode over time. Copper would be great only I cannot find source for it. I had some problems (heat) with dissimilar metals when I tried to use stainless steel on an application some years ago.

So my question is what types of nuts / bolts / washers come on these carts from the factory? What hardware would be ideal if you had the choice?

Thanks in advance for any input. John
Johno7656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
TheWiltz
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What hardware to use to connect batteries and contactors?

The threaded stud on the battery is steel...

If you could find copper nuts, you could probably replace your steel nuts and washers 4 times a year for life of your batteries for the cost of copper nuts.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.
TheWiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I believe carts come from the factory with Lead battery posts, stainless steel studs & nuts and copper or tinned copper cables lugs.
As far as I know, no washers are used in any electrical connections on golf carts.

The primary electrical connection on a cart battery is Lead to Copper and the stainless steel stud & nut holds the two together while providing a secondary current path.
The stud is actually a hex-head bolt embedded in Lead, so the torque limit on the nut is about 10 ft-lb (80-120 in-lb is the Trojan battery spec)

The acid laden air above the batteries corrodes both Lead and Copper, so a terminal protectorate is needed.
I've been looking for a product that both protects and is conductive, but doesn't cost an arm and leg.
Here is the thread:http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...al-grease.html

Loose and/or corroded battery connections will cause heat, in fact it has melted the terminals off batteries, but with a proper battery maintenance routine, it isn't an issue.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Johno7656
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the responses. I will be in an area tomorrow where I can get some SS hardware so I guess that is the route I will take. Thanks again. John
Johno7656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO