lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Series motor upgrade.

I already have 24 mph. Are you suggesting I drop the series motor? Cause I'm thinking it.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonkulor View Post
I already have 24 mph. Are you suggesting I drop the series motor? Cause I'm thinking it.
If you are still at 36v I would go to 48v.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #23
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you are still at 36v I would go to 48v.
I was afraid you would say that. For real. I know that going from 36 to 48 will be a big boost in the pants speed. I have a one year old pack and I can't see dropping it for another pack just yet. Never know though.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

You all know I do have a second 36v pack. I could make a switch to go turbo if I needed.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

Sell your currency pack or try and find 2 more 6's about the same age/condition. Then you'll have controller and charger issues to contend with.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

I know, I know, I know. *face palm. I just wish it was easier. My guess is that when I get my fed return and do the motor I'll get a new pack of 6 8V batteries.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #27
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

And FYI, I wont be buying batteries from a friend because they are cheap! These AC delco batteries suck!.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #28
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The stock motor on the Marathon just does not have a lot in terms of torque. To be honest I don't know how you climb a hill with 36v, 8:1 gearing an 23 inch tires.

I sent my stock motor off to EMP and had them build the two speed version. It worked better for me but still did not have the torque I wanted so I upped my controller first to a 500 amp and then to my current 650 amp. That worked pretty well until the amps were just too much for the motor and it fried.

I'm currently waiting on a new D&D motor to arrive. It should give me a little more speed and torque too. They say it will handle the amps so at least this one should not fry hopefully. I do plan on going to 48v at some point and the D&D is supposed to handle that just fine as well.

The stock Marathon motor turns 2800 RPM. Any motor turning more RPM will get you more speed and there are many aftermarket speed and torque combo motors. My suggestion would be to try a motor if that is what you want and can only justify doing right now. You can still do a 48v upgrade in the future and that will be even better with a upgraded motor.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab46501 View Post
The stock motor on the Marathon just does not have a lot in terms of torque. To be honest I don't know how you climb a hill with 36v, 8:1 gearing an 23 inch tires.

I sent my stock motor off to EMP and had them build the two speed version. It worked better for me but still did not have the torque I wanted so I upped my controller first to a 500 amp and then to my current 650 amp. That worked pretty well until the amps were just too much for the motor and it fried.

I'm currently waiting on a new D&D motor to arrive. It should give me a little more speed and torque too. They say it will handle the amps so at least this one should not fry hopefully. I do plan on going to 48v at some point and the D&D is supposed to handle that just fine as well.

The stock Marathon motor turns 2800 RPM. Any motor turning more RPM will get you more speed and there are many aftermarket speed and torque combo motors. My suggestion would be to try a motor if that is what you want and can only justify doing right now. You can still do a 48v upgrade in the future and that will be even better with a upgraded motor.
TY ab. Finally someone talking my language. I'll soak up what you said and think about that for a bit.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW:
With 8:1 gears and 23" tires, the motor is spinning at 2806RPM at 24MPH.
That is about twice stock speed and also means you have a 50% reduction in torque.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO