lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Keeping Battery Terminals Tight

Everyone has their own idea about how to keep battery cables firmly attached to the posts (other than regular checks). I have attended to a number of terminal meltdowns mainly on the 12v batteries of members carts, but don't recollect anyone recommending Locktite (Blue) as a locking agent, together with or without washers and or spring washers. Also no one seems to recommend nyloc nuts which initially should have a better holding ability than regular nuts. Any input appreciated
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Keeping Battery Terminals Tight

High amperage mechanical connections are subject to heat. Both nylock and loctite are adversely effected by heat. Basically, neither would work well.
I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

The best thing is to tighten the terminals properly to begin with, then check them regularly. I've recently begun using spring-type lockwashers under the nuts, figuring that if the things do loosen ever so slightly, the lockwasher will help to maintain a good electrical connection and prevent a meltdown. Using a torque wrench to tighten the nuts might help, but I don't know offhand what value to use. Probably should just experiment.

The thing with either Nylock nuts or LocTite is that neither really assures a tight connection, they just prevent the nut from unscrewing, which is NOT the same.

As Scottyb points out, the problem is heat, and heat comes from high currents and a bit of resistance. If you use your cart, and especially if you use it hard, you're going to pull high currents through the connections, so that's out of our control. The resistance part IS under our control, at least to a degree: use heavy cables with solidly connected terminal ends and do whatever you can to prevent corrosion. Personally, I slather grease all over the battery terminal, including at its base junction with the case top, BEFORE attaching the cable end. I coat it with grease also, both before and after connecting it.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ty-tighty.html has some thoughts on this. Start reading on about the 4th or 5th post I think. Not too long.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

I use lock washers and they stay tight with out issue
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car