lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
jyednak
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default overheating

The resister coils and wiring in my cart get very hot. You can smell them. The motor stays cool.
We drive extremely slow, like 1, maybe 2 mph all the time. Can this cause the overheating or is it likely something else?
And if so, I thought of dropping from 36 to 24 volt to naturally slow the cart down some without working the resistors so much. I was wondering if that would cause any problems with the motor?
Thanks for any advice!
John
jyednak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: overheating

The slow driving is causing the problem. Basically the cart is not made to drive slower than you can walk (6mph) for any distance.
Lower or reduced voltage would cause the motor to draw more amperage ... volts x amps = watts (power required for a given task)

Ideally you would have a low speed (rpm) high torque motor and a modern solid state speed control drive system without any resistor coils.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yeah, with the resistor carts like yours, you might as well run WOT all the time, because it will use the same amount of power as if you were going 1 mph... going faster will cause less wasted power and cooler coils
This drive system is just not very efficient
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
jyednak
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the help.
Maybe I'll put some heavier cables on it, and a little cooling fan on the coils.
It does ok for distance on a charge. Not like the curtis did but it goes long enough.
Can I use a solid state controller with the same motor, or is there a difference in them?
Thanks again!
John
jyednak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes you can use the same motor. You just need a series drive solid state control.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car