lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Projected life expectancy of battery (JohnnieB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Might be appropriate to ask this question here:

If I'm driving the cart around the house and only pulling, say, 5% of the charge out, is it better to recharge or not?

Is it also better to wait for the batteries to "recover" after use, before plugging in? Thinking voltage climbs slowly after a heavy load, which means they look like they are lower than they really are right after use.

I'm trusting that the smart charger will figure it out..
..a
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw007 View Post
good question I would like to k ow as well. also do they need to rest before using the cart. or can u use it when its up around 4o+ volts off the charger.
It is better to recharge after each use, no matter how slight the use is.
Of course, you have to be practical about it. If you've only driven a mile or so and know you will be using the cart again in an hour or so, it won't make much difference in the overall scheme of things whether you plug the cart in or not after the first trip. Just be sure to put the batteries on charge at the end of cart usage for day.

Battery voltage does drop under load and the heavier the load the more it drops. The pack voltage will continue to rise for an hour or so after the cart stops, but unless your are using a charger that puts out 50A or more, or want to get an accurate SoC estimate, there is no reason to wait for the batteries to recover before putting them on charge.

(FWIW: When I want an accurate SoC estimate, I let the batteries recover for about half an hour. Most of the recovery occurs in the first 15 minutes, and not much change happens after about 30 minutes. When I'm out and about and want to know when it is time to head back to the house, I only let them rest about 5-10 minutes since the error would be on the safe side.)

Most chargers are current limited to some maximum number of Amps below about 42V for a 36V pack, so it doesn't matter how low the pack voltage is, that is all the Amps it is going to put out. The recommend initial charge rate for most golf cart batteries is in the 10% to 13% of their AH rating, but the can tolerate at least 20%, so that would be about 45A for a T-105 (225AH) and not many chargers put out that much.

----------
I've heard of instances that a cart won't run for several minutes after the charger shuts off, but that is due to the over voltage cut-off setting in the controller being set too low. I'm not sure about series controllers, but the over voltage setting in a stock PDS controller is about 48V, and 36V chargers don't get that high, so if it will run right off the charger , run it.

When I was running a DPI charger on a stock 36V PDS system, it floated the pack at 39.6V and I always took off with the cart at that voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Projected life expectancy of battery (JohnnieB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Battery voltage does drop under load and the heavier the load the more it drops. The pack voltage will continue to rise for an hour or so after the cart stops, but unless your are using a charger that puts out 50A or more, or want to get an accurate SoC estimate, there is no reason to wait for the batteries to recover before putting them on charge.

The recommend initial charge rate for most golf cart batteries is in the 10% to 13% of their AH rating, but the can tolerate at least 20%, so that would be about 45A for a T-105 (225AH) and not many chargers put out that much.

Perfect. Mine is 15A, so no worries there. Thanks!
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO