lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 EZ GO Intermittent power loss problem

Two separate issues.

1. Solenoid not clicking.
With Key ON and F/R in F, you should have to have B+ (Full battery p[ack voltage) on the DCX controller's pins 6, 9 & 10 and the LED should be glowing green. (Actually, if LED is steady green, you have B+ on Pins 6, 9 &10)
When you press pedal, you should get B+ on pin-5 and hear solenoid click.

If that isn't happening, we need to troubleshoot further, through the PDS to DCX adapter and the original PDS control wiring.

Attached is a schematic with the solenoid activation circuit highlighted.
It is an unmitigated SOB to trace, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve if need be.

2.Intermittent power loss. (Cart moves, but has less power/speed than normal)
Other than a bad ITS sensor or wiring between ITS sensor and controller, there isn't many other things the will give you the intermittent problem you describe.

Connect your DVM's test leads between pins 1 & 2 on DCX controller and drive cart while monitoring voltage.

With pedal up, you should read 10V. With pedal on floor, you should read 6V.

Compare what you read while cart is working normally vs what you read when cart is misbehaving.

-----------
There is an in-line connector between the pedal box and controller. If it is corroded, it can the source of both problems listed above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - B+ to solenoid and Pedal Switch.JPG (203.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There is an in-line connector between the pedal box and controller. If it is corroded, it can the source of both problems listed above.
If we're betting.......my money is on this!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
gwgator
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
If we're betting.......my money is on this!
I hope you are right...sounds like a quick and easy fix. We'll find out tomorrow.
gwgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #24
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgator View Post
I hope you are right...sounds like a quick and easy fix. We'll find out tomorrow.
Got my fingers crossed for ya! My DCS has a 4-wire connector in the cable from throttle to controller that has caused a "no go" situation a couple of times. Wiggle it, or unplug & re-plug it.....BAM, it'll work. I'm going to replace the Molex connector with a 4-prong trailer light plug (like on your truck for trailer lights) "one of these days".....
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
gwgator
Not Yet Wild

The inline connector was not corroded but we disconnected and plugged back in (maybe it was loose). We pulled all the connections at the speed controller and tightened everything up. The micro switch in the pedal box was working fine but the small roller that depresses the button when the pedal is down was bent and may not have been making full contact so we fixed that.

Not sure which of the above it was but everything seems to be working fine now. The batteries are brand new and I'm waiting on my new charger so I don't want to drive it any more until we get a full charge. Hopefully we won't have any more issues. Thanks to everyone for the help!
gwgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Got my fingers crossed for ya! My DCS has a 4-wire connector in the cable from throttle to controller that has caused a "no go" situation a couple of times. Wiggle it, or unplug & re-plug it.....BAM, it'll work. I'm going to replace the Molex connector with a 4-prong trailer light plug (like on your truck for trailer lights) "one of these days".....
My series buggy has the EXACT same problem. Eliminating this plug is way down on my to-do list, as I just have to unplug and replug when needed.

EDIT: My solution, if I ever implement it, is to simply eliminate the plug. What purpose does it truly serve? Hard-wire.

DISCLAIMER: Just 'cause I do it, don't mean it's recommended.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm sure there's an IEEE or NFPA thingy that says it's a good idea to use a plug when transitioning from four separate wires to a 4 conductor cable, but I can unplug my ITS and my micro-switch, and if needed, remove the cable. I'll probably solder and heat-shrink past my MOLEX, since it pi$$es me off at least once or twice a year.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgator View Post
The inline connector was not corroded but we disconnected and plugged back in (maybe it was loose). We pulled all the connections at the speed controller and tightened everything up. The micro switch in the pedal box was working fine but the small roller that depresses the button when the pedal is down was bent and may not have been making full contact so we fixed that.

Not sure which of the above it was but everything seems to be working fine now. The batteries are brand new and I'm waiting on my new charger so I don't want to drive it any more until we get a full charge. Hopefully we won't have any more issues. Thanks to everyone for the help!
The roller arm pushes the button on the microswitch when the pedal is up.

All the microswitches used in EZGO electric carts use the NC (Normally Closed) contact for the "Run" mode, so the lever has to be released for the cart to run. When the pedal is up, the lever on the pedal microswitch is pushed, opening the NC contacts and deactivating the solenoid.

There is an adjustment on the pedal linkage that determines when the pedal microswitch opens/closes, but some people just bend the roller arm. (See Attached)

BTW: You can download the Operator, the Service and the Parts manuals for your cart from this post in the Stickies. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html
They are the three *.pdf file near the top.

--------------
Hopefully its fixed.
Which charger did you get?
Be sure to break in batteries properly. Here's how: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS Adjust - PDS - Install.JPG (109.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS Adjust - PDS - Pg1.JPG (63.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS Adjust - PDS - Pg2.JPG (53.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
My series buggy has the EXACT same problem. Eliminating this plug is way down on my to-do list, as I just have to unplug and replug when needed.

EDIT: My solution, if I ever implement it, is to simply eliminate the plug. What purpose does it truly serve? Hard-wire.

DISCLAIMER: Just 'cause I do it, don't mean it's recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I'm sure there's an IEEE or NFPA thingy that says it's a good idea to use a plug when transitioning from four separate wires to a 4 conductor cable, but I can unplug my ITS and my micro-switch, and if needed, remove the cable. I'll probably solder and heat-shrink past my MOLEX, since it pi$$es me off at least once or twice a year.
FWIW:
I had the in-line connector between the Reed switch (my cart doesn't have a Reed switch, but wiring is same) and Controller failed out in the middle of nowhere. I had a DVM with me, and I've got the schematic memorized, so I found it and used nail clippers and twisted the wires together to get home.

I ended up redoing the twist connection and soldering it, using a wire nut to insulate it from touching anything rather than covering it with heat-shrink tubing. That way I still have a readily accessible test point. I did cover the bare solder joint with Vaseline before putting the wire nut on.

When the in-line connector to the pedal box fails, I'll probably do the same thing.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #30
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've used "gooey" wire nuts at work. I never researched the "goo", but I suspect it's a silicone based product, and is rated at 600 volts in "wet" environments.

It's thicker than Vaseline, kinda like a thick snot.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO