lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Variac float charger?

If your Sola is a line conditioner, it could feed your variac, which you could use to feed your rectifiers and bypass the charger altogether. Set it for the voltage JohnnyB mentioned above:

"My 36V DPI Accusense charger floats at 39.8V in the Us Battery mode, 39.6V in the Exide mode and 39.4V in the Trojan mode."

Then just charge up the pack, and remove the charger and add your trickler. That would eliminate any line fluctuation problems, and I would think the load on the batteries would be fairly constant when charged, but may change some, due to temperature. You could check the connected voltage on a hot day and again on a cold day. If your variac is big enough, minor changes in the batteries load would have minor differences in variac out put.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

I'm basically looking for a way to maintain the batteries during the winter. I'd go Wall timer->SOLA->Variac->Bridge rectifier->Batteries and set the DC output voltage to 39.8V. Maybe set the wall timer to come on for 2-3 hours a day. Just wondered if that would work.
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it only runs a few hours a day, I suspect the self-discharge of the batteries would increase the load, which will pull the voltage down on the variac output, but that may be OK. You'll have to monitor and play with it. I'm pretty sure a real float charger is on 24/7.

Give us your charger model number. You might get lucky and find that it is an automatic charger, and if so, all you'd have to do is initiate a new charger once every week or so. As mentioned above, some of the old automatic chargers had a timer, and when turned on, would automatically stop when the shut-off voltage was reached, and the timer told you how long it took to charge. If the shut-off voltage was never reached, it timed out.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw View Post
I'm basically looking for a way to maintain the batteries during the winter. .
link ---> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...er-6v-48v.html
Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw
I'm basically looking for a CHEAP way to maintain the batteries during the winter. .
;^)
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO