lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Blown 3/8 amp fuse ??

I plugged the wifes cart (2001 48v DS Series) in to charge and charger didn't click on . I checked pack voltage it was 50.2 so I kept looking and found the fuse in the yellow fuse holder was blown. What would cause it to blow? I will be picking up a pack of 3/8 amp fuses tomorrow and hopefully that will fix it. Just wondering if I should be looking for a common problem you guys are aware of.
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Blown 3/8 amp fuse ??

You will most likely blow another fuse until you find the short. Is the cart working properly?
Does anything smell burned up in the charger?
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

The cart is running fine but we have a lot of lightning here lately, we got hit a couple of days ago and it took out our satellite receivers. Don't know if it caused the fuse to blow but the cart was plugged in when the lightning struck.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

So possibly a surge blew the fuse, you may be either very lucky or you may have internal damage, usually a circuit board will be burnt up. Being a charger, it could be the rectifier or being plugged in the OBC.

Change the fuse and hope for the best!
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In my experience as a golf cart serviceman I saw many of these blown with no further damage done many times. They can even blow out if they get water into the holder like when washing the cart or leaving it out in the rain.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ok that makes sense, we were riding in a pretty good rainstorm with some flooded trails. I'll know more after replacing the fuse. Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjequip View Post
Ok that makes sense, we were riding in a pretty good rainstorm with some flooded trails. I'll know more after replacing the fuse. Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Okay now we get the rest of the story .... use a hairdryer to dry the holder out before replacing the fuse... I had one customer who used to wash their cart obsessively... and I would get a call to replace the fuse every week or so.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Scottyb is correct about the water, but let me throw something else out there. When you replace the fuse and plug your charger in you need to make sure the charger has a turn on delay. If the charger turns on immediately when you insert the plug into the cart you need to replace the OBC. I've seen it a lot. They get locked into charge mode and never turn off and because of this, the fuse blows.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Scottyb is correct about the water, but let me throw something else out there. When you replace the fuse and plug your charger in you need to make sure the charger has a turn on delay. If the charger turns on immediately when you insert the plug into the cart you need to replace the OBC. I've seen it a lot. They get locked into charge mode and never turn off and because of this, the fuse blows.
Thanks Dawg !
Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'll check it out as soon as I get back from Grainger with new fuses. I do have a spare OBC so hopefully will get it sorted out today. I don't like leaving the batteries not fully charged. Thanks again guys.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car