lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #11
Billwagner98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 ezgo txt 2pg robin engine troubles

Are we positive the 2pg stock piston rings had the bevelocity sides. Don't remember seeing them. I can look on the old ones when I get home today after work.
Billwagner98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Page H-1 of the manual.
It wasn't a guess, and it wasn't an odd option. Your engine has upper side Keystone type rings, which means the bevel goes on top.

http://www.golfcarnews.com/technical...lyaugust-2009/

Since you are questioning it, that tells me that you don't have a clue as to which way you put them in. That's the same as taking the pump apart half way, and only checking one diaphragm.

I personally wouldn't have ordered any parts until I took it apart, and visually confirmed a problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #13
Billwagner98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Haha I don't have a clue. I've never worked on 2 strokes befor. Now give me a 350 or a Cummins and I can tell you anything about them. And all the pistons I've ever messed with had solid non bezeled rings. So when watching the video that walked me through the rebuild never said anything about the rings. It did say to make sure the hole was facing the carb. Guess I'm ripping it out this weekend and checking the rings. Then putting it back together with all the new parts I ordered and then I won't have to worry about anything for long time.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Was that Donyboy73? I did notice in his video that he keeps mentioning the port, but never the position of the rings.

You said it ran for 5 minutes then quit. I would still wait for the new pump, and give it a try. You may have gotten lucky. The rings feel weird when going on wrong.

Try a compression test for the rings.

If you do yank the engine, seriously think about crankshaft seals.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #15
Billwagner98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Haha as a matter of fact it was the donboy video. What an a s s. The bottom ring wasn't seating correctly. I just thought it was the piston messed up or something. Def gonna have to take it back out. The cart is at camp so cab do anything until then. First thing I'm gonna do is a compression test. If the ring was in upside down is it damaged? Should I buy new rings? And will the oversized .50 piston fit in the same valve body? Or do I need a whole kit?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #16
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You will have to look to see if there is damage. I wouldn't buy rings until I knew for sure.

A .50 piston is half of a millimeter oversize. A millimeter converts to .0395". We round up to .040". That means the piston is .020" larger than stock. The cylinder would have to be bored to make it fit.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #17
Billwagner98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That's what I thought. Thanks for all the help. I will update you in a couple days.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #18
Billwagner98
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I made it up camp this weekend ripped the motor back out tore it down and the Rings war in bevel side up so they were correct.I swapped out the carburetor and the fuel pump put it all back together with hopes of its starting up and low and behold it did the same exact thing. also got a exhaust gasket so now the gas was coming out of the bottom of the muffler. So I brainstormed and went over everything I did and I replace all the fuel lines. So while turning the cart over I pinched the fuel line for a second and the cart fired right up. the only thing that I did was remove the metal line that ran across the length of the cart and then a hose came off of that going to the carburetor and the other side the hose came off of it and went to the fuel tank. so I put the metal line back in place of my rubber fuel hose that I put in and now the thing is running like a top. I guess the metal restricts the flow of the gasoline just correct for it to fire. so the whole time it was because I took that metal line out and replace the whole gas line with rubber. Thank god my baby is running again.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I'm still curious about the original fuel pump.
Did you ever take it completely apart to see what the lower diaphragm looked like?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #20
Camohorse1978
Getting Wild

That is weird , I have removed the metal line and replaced rubber on a couple and they all ran perfectly fine . Glad you got it going
Camohorse1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO