lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #1
Kpolson2002
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 ezgo fuel system problem

I just purchased a 1988 ezgo with a robin 244 cc motor. When I bought it had no fuel lines on it just the steel line under back if seat. So I cleaned carb out and I stalled new fuel lines along with a after market fuel filter. Now the fuel pump pumps so much fuel into the carb it just floods it out. So I have taken the carb off multipul times to see if maybe my float was sticking but it's not. I suspect that the fuel pump has to be pumping pressures fuel and pushing the needle down and it keeps fill the bowel up all the way. The only way I can keep it running good is I put and fuel shut off valve after the fuel filter and I can regulate fuel coming out of the tank. Was wondering if there was some type of fuel regulator that has to go into the fuel line system or is there something I'm missing. All I have now is fuel line coming out of tank into fuel filter to steel line the rubber line running into left side of fuel pump then rubber line running out of right side of pump then into carb. That was initial setup. Then I spliced in a fuel shutoff valve to regulate fuel so it would run. If anyone can help that would be great.
Kpolson2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
Camohorse1978
Getting Wild

Default Re: 1988 ezgo fuel system problem

Have you adjusted the float ?
Camohorse1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You are using a valve to shut off fuel before the pump. You never said where you are seeing extra fuel.

Is it coming out of the carburetor vent hole, or is the plug soaking wet?

I suspect that you have a ripped lower diaphragm in the fuel pump.

If it's coming out of the vent hole this could apply. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ml#post1276363
Read this thread, and post #19 to see how my brother messed his up.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Kpolson2002
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No gas coming out of vent hole and I don't think I over tighten it. It maybe have been down the road. Anyway it runs great if u hardly have the fuel shut off open but once u open it all the way open it loads up starts smoking really bad. When u close the valve let it run it starts to clear up and u can open the valve slightly then it runs great again.
The fuel shut off valve is before the fuel pump right after the filter
I have not adjusted the float but mechanic said to just bend the little piece that contacts the needle. But haven't done it.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Ok, from what I can see, gas is getting into the carb, but can't get out. It's being forced out of the vent hole.
When you cleaned it, did you unscrew all three brass orifices?
One under the needle valve.
A second one in the nut that holds the bowl on.
A third long one that goes up the center stem.

I would also check the crossed drilled holes in the bowl retainer nut. They could be getting blocked by the gasket, or the edge of the bowl where it passes through.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #6
Kpolson2002
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I got good and bad news. First it had a busted bottom diaphragm so put on new fuel pump. Got carb put back on and it ran fine for one day. Wife was driving it around house and it back fired a little and nothing. Tried to turn the motor by hand and nothing. THE MOTOR IS LOCKED. So I took the motor out piston looks great and everything else. But with everything off and piston out the crank still won't turn. So I'm thinking its time for a complete rebuild. What could have happened
Old 07-07-2016, 12:00 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I have experience with this.

There are three sets of bearings. Two on the clutch side, and one on the flywheel side.

I changed my seals, and removed the cylinder to check the piston. I put it back together, and made a run down the driveway. Same thing. It locked up tight.

The flywheel side bearing had migrated back into the crankshaft lobe, and locked everything up tight. I always thought that I had knocked something down in there, or set the seal too deep. Maybe it was caused by a backfire.

Here's the problem. The inner, and outer race were both up tight against the crankshaft lobe. There was no getting behind it with a puller.

I ended up using some high quality tools, and a multimillion dollar airline machine shop.
I cut the outer race off, and then used a Snap On bearing separator to finally get the inner race to move away from the lobe. It took three of us during lunch to get it done.

This is what we used to get behind it. https://www.pricefalls.com/product/b...FQQQaQodGrUGcA
The Snap On had a nice sharp edge that finally managed to get under the inner race.
I hope yours didn't do the same thing.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #8
JeffHWV
Not Yet Wild

More than likely the bearing cage failed and let the balls roll together and lock. Common problem on 2 strokes and most common cause of death of chainsaws. Lack of lube, poor quality bearings and old age are big causes.
JeffHWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO