lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #1
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1999 EZGO Txt - Won't Drive in forward or reverse

I acquired a 1999 EZGO TXT electric golf cart from my mother in law. I immediately replaced the batteries approximately 6 months ago and everything seemed to work, except it would really slow going up hills. I took apart all the electrical connections and that seemed to improve its hill climbing but I am not sure what to really expect performance wise out of an older 36v cart.

I've been using the cart around the farm and its really come in handy, so much easier to jump on than the SxS for smaller tasks. One day I was riding it and noticed ithe wires got really hot and I could actually smell some burning. I stopped and let it cool, then coasted it back to the shop. Took apart and cleaned the electrical connections and it seemed to fix it, wires no longer got hot.

Then about a month ago it just stopped moving. I brought it into the shop and took apart and cleaned every electrical connection again and it started working again.

Then two weeks ago it stopped again and I can't get it to move again. When I press the gas I have a solenoid click. I found the diagnostic check in the sticky, and will follow up this post with another indicating where I found my problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason
jsahara24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #2
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1999 EZGO Txt - Won't Drive in forward or reverse

So I found the following diagnostic checklist below.....everything checked out until I tested the controller, my notes are in RED CAPS below....I am getting battery voltage ~37v between the M- & B+ without pushing the pedal....Not exactly sure what that means, but i'm thinking it is the motor or the reverse switch......going to try to test the motor off a 12v battery....Thanks for any input...

Testing of the EZGO ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL - SERIES & PDS​
(NON DCS)
ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE BEFORE REMOVING CONTROLLER COVER. RE-CONNECT CABLE AFTER COVER IS REMOVED.
These test are to be conducted after making sure all wires and connections are clean and tight.
PLACE THE REAR OF THE CART SECURELY ON BLOCKS OR JACK STANDS FOR SAFETY
Connect (-) probe of meter on Battery Pack Negative (-) post. (This probe will on the post for the rest of the testing procedures) Connect (+) probe to the Battery Pack Positive (+) battery post. (This reading is the Battery Voltage and the amount of POWER TO THE CONTROLLER -
NOW, Key switch ON, gear selector in FORWARD, Place the (+) probe on the battery side of the solenoid's large post (If the reading is below battery voltage, check all wiring and terminals).
Place the (+) probe to the controller side of the solenoid's large post. The reading should be 0.1 to 3 volts less than battery voltage. If the reading is more than 3 volts less the battery voltage, the resistor is faulty. If the voltage is the same as the battery voltage, replace the solenoid.

ITS - INDUCTIVE THROTTLE SENSOR​

With the key switch ON - Forward direction selected - Push the Accelerator pedal just enough to activate the solenoid.
Install a "jumper wire" between the batteries BL+ post and the solenoid post with red wires attached.
AT THE SIX PIN CONNECTOR OF THE CONTROLLER
Place the (+) probe on the red wire terminal of the connector.
If battery voltage is not present, the red wire between the solenoid and the six pin connector is faulty.
Place the (+) probe on the black wire terminal of the connector.
The reading should be slightly above 14 volts but than 15 volts. If the voltage is not correct, the Throttle Sensor MAY be faulty.
Separate the 6 pin connector (only 4 are used) between the pedal box and the controller that's located on the passenger's side of the battery compartment.
If the voltage goes to 14 volts, the sensor is faulty.
If the voltage remains below 14 volts, the controller is faulty.
RECONNECT the 6 pin connector.
Place the (+) probe on the white wire terminal of the six pin connector.
Depress the pedal slowly. The reading should be 0.45 - 0.53 volts just as the micro-switch is activated.
Depress the pedal slowly to full throttle.
As you depress the peddle the reading should move smoothly to about 1.5 volts.
If the reading is incorrect, The Throttle Sensor is defective.
REMOVE THE JUMPER WIRE AND (-) PROBE
CHECKING CONTROLLER OUTPUT Connect (-) probe to M- terminal.
Connect (+) probe to B+ terminal.
The reading should indicate approx. 0 volts. I AM GETTING BATTERY VOLTAGE (~37V) WITHOUT PRESSING THE PEDAL...
Slowly depress accelerator pedal.
The reading should show the voltage increasing to battery voltage when fully depressed. If the voltage is at or near battery voltage and the motor is not turning, then the problem lies in either the forward/reverse switch, the wiring, or the motor.
If the voltage increases by a few volts and then stops changing while the pedal is being depressed, remove the orange wire at the "Reverse Micro switch".
If the voltage is not at or near battery voltage, replace the controller.
If battery voltage is present, the problem lies in the reverse circuit.
Re-connect the orange wire.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
Komodo1982
Not Yet Wild

Os the resistor disconnected from the solenoid for the test?
Komodo1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo1982 View Post
Os the resistor disconnected from the solenoid for the test?
No I didn't remove a resistor, is that the one on the small lugs or the large lugs of the solenoid?

I did just check the motor, it turned the wheels with 12v power so I think I can rule that out.....
Old 12-01-2022, 04:07 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The resistor is on the large lugs of the solenoid.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:57 PM   #6
Komodo1982
Not Yet Wild

double check the troubleshooting steps but i think if you are performing the tests on the controller with the resistor installed then you will still see voltage at the controller. In other words I think you may need to perform the tests with the resistor removed.
Komodo1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #7
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok, will redo the tests tomorrow and report back....thanks
Old 12-02-2022, 10:17 AM   #8
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

No change with the resistor removed...I think I'm going to order a F/R switch and see if that addresses it...

Thanks..
Old 12-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #9
Buzzworth
Not Yet Wild

My 1999 TXT did very similar. Finally traced to the FNR rotary switch had gotten hot enough to melt the phenolic plate that the copper terminals are mounted to. The contact at the A terminal sunk in far enough that it no longer touched the associated terminal on the switch.
I was able to rebuild the melted terminal and make solid contact again.
In changing from forward to reverse, if the contacts are not fully engaged there will be enough resistance to create much heat.
YMMV
Good luck, I spent many frustrating days figuring this out.
Buzzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:40 AM   #10
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Buzzworth, I think you are onto something. I decided to purchase a new F/R switch and it will be here on Monday, hopefully will get a chance to replace it Monday night after work. I will report back if that did it...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO