lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
rkggoodman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: interesting problem

ck to see if you get a spark at the plug on inital start up, it will lite up for on or 2 revolutions if this happens then the ignightor is bad, if this dont happen , ck ALL grounds under the box and bat to frame ,ohm it out or voltage test on start up, if theres a drop remove the main ground and clean it good,note it goes to the under side of the frame and gets corroded
rkggoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkggoodman View Post
ck to see if you get a spark at the plug on inital start up, it will lite up for on or 2 revolutions if this happens then the ignightor is bad, if this dont happen , ck ALL grounds under the box and bat to frame ,ohm it out or voltage test on start up, if theres a drop remove the main ground and clean it good,note it goes to the under side of the frame and gets corroded
I'm not reading you right rkg, this puppy runs like a bear for 60 / 120 seconds from a start and then shuts down like a scared doe and will not re-start. The resistance across the coil remains the same but the spark disapears. This contradicts the information that Papaws informative post provided me. It seems like the kill switch micro is acting up but i've changed it three times. The ground wire is clean and bright, wire is good and grounded. I'm lost

lol, I will find the answer through thick or thin and pass it on through these pages............. Eventually !!

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not to be a post whore but I just spoke to a very well informed guy from the Club Car factory who told me that this issue is a classic sign of coil breakdown, however, he was at a complete loss as to why the resistance tests were the same at a spark / no spark situation so if any of you patient folks have any more ideas or tricks to share with me it would once again be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all

Chris.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

All types of coils I know of can fail in this fashion, they are great cold, once they get warm to hot they fail. The resistance reading does give one pause though. and it is an expensive gamble, I guess one could basically take everything out of the loop (rev limiter, kill switch, etc) and wire hot lead and good ground to the batt., put it in N and jump the coil run it till the motor gets hot and shut it down and see if you can start is again or if you again lost the spark. If you lost the spark, it must be the coil, you have eliminated everything else via disconnecting everything else from the loop.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
All types of coils I know of can fail in this fashion, they are great cold, once they get warm to hot they fail. The resistance reading does give one pause though. and it is an expensive gamble, I guess one could basically take everything out of the loop (rev limiter, kill switch, etc) and wire hot lead and good ground to the batt., put it in N and jump the coil run it till the motor gets hot and shut it down and see if you can start is again or if you again lost the spark. If you lost the spark, it must be the coil, you have eliminated everything else via disconnecting everything else from the loop.

This is right where i'm at JiminpaI talked to a tech at CC and I've been chatting to others (including yerself) and the only logical conclusion appears to be the coil or maybe the in-built bloody exiter unit. Sleeves up ! Ears on red alert and here we ***king go. If this turns in to a frayed wire scenario I swear i'll turn fuc*ing Muslim and buy a Camel.

Chris.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
whatharley
Not Yet Wild

ok what did you find out... i have a 89 clubcar and it runs great and then it dies and wont start for a fw days then will start and run fine for 20 minutes then die agian
whatharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #17
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It was a bad ignitor / coil unit on my cart. I believe that your cart has a separate coil and ignitor system but you might want to start by removing the RPM limiter ground wire to eliminate that possibility first.
I posted a how to procedure which explains the way I approached the repair with regard to the later integrated unit but I don't think that will help with the older CC's.

Chris.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
rkggoodman
Not Yet Wild

ignitor is bad,been ther done all the same thing ur doin , change the ignitor
rkggoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car