lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Eagleeye
Not Yet Wild

Default Toe in & Charger

My renovation of the 87 Marathon continues.

After putting on the lift kit I need to adjust toe in. I have heard (read) different measurements.

My best guess is 1\4 in. at the tread. Am I close?

Item 2

Here is the charger I have. I didn't want to hijack Moto's thread but have need to know if this is an auto cut off charger. It has a timer that sometimes works but it has never shut off by itself. I have an old set of batteries and that may be a factor. I just judge full charge by meter.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...olfCart031.jpg

Hope the links work

Thanks for the help. I have not had to post much, just reading.
Eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Toe in & Charger

That is a pre Total Charge charger and does not have the auto feature. Timer based only. I think its possible to convert it if you have the PC board.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Eagleeye
Not Yet Wild

Thanks,
After opening it up i am amazed it works at all. No board, just the basic block of rust (transformer) , cap. & fusses.

I will keep my eyes open for a newer charger before i install new batteries. Don't trust this one considering the cost of batts. now.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

I like those old chargers......how many years old is and it still works!
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Eagleeye
Not Yet Wild

Has 84-XXXX serial. so it has made it a few years.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...olfCart031.jpg

The charger look about as good as the cart did when I started.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #6
gaston
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
That is a pre Total Charge charger and does not have the auto feature. Timer based only. I think its possible to convert it if you have the PC board.
Yes it is possible to make it completely automatic, as I made it before.
And Eagleeye if you do this make sure to buy a completely automatic pc board.
The part 28667-G01 for powerwise chargers works perfect with that charger.

But I would use the control board from quickcharge (google it) since this board allows programming for different voltages giving you the chance to use it in either 36 or 48v and it will work perfect with that charger. They have even the instuctions on line for you to see it in case you are unsure about...
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Eagleeye
Not Yet Wild

Gaston
Thanks, the conrtol board look like a good option. The only problem is that it opens the possiblity of 48 v. to me without having to buy a new charger.

Let's see I have to buy new batts. soon anyway and the wires, well you always need new wires and the other stuff I'l burn up making this work.

I still need to know about toe in if someone can help.

Why Not? My wife thinks I'm obsessed with this cart anyway. She wants to know when she get's her pick up fixed.-----------Later.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
gaston
Gone Wild

for the 48 conversion you will require a 48v charger, so do not spend in the control board.
Or... you can just buy a 12v charger and make your 36v automatic with the mentioned control board which will work in chargers form 12v,24v,36v or 48v.

But before going ahed on the charger(s) and if you need new batts, you will need either six 8volt or eight 6v. Second option adds weight and stress to the system, but will increase the range and you will be able to use 36v + 12v charger.
Best option on 6 8volts is trojan t-890.
But again, on the 6 8volts you can only use a 48v charger. (so this options is at the end more expensive)

Do not mix old batts with new batts if you're looking to do that... you will likely kill the new batteries and will running to buy a whole set of new ones.

This is a resistor cart? Well if you are really obsessed with it, you need to stop and make a plan first and know the facts.

Resistor are really easy to voltage upgrade but they are extremely low efficient in matters of range.
You will eventually want to upgrade to a speed controller.
When you go to 48v you can keep your 36v solenoid, but it is recommended to upgrade the solenoid to a 48v one, heavy duty.
Also, if you do new wiring, you will want also to check the direction switch, and upgrade the buss bars.

About the toe in/out:
You are part right as this depends how worn the bushings are on the spindles. Sometimes is difficult to keep the alignment in this old carts due to age of bushings.
Also the steering box on this old models usually have a lot of free play as well due to age.
It depends on many factors, so give a try on many different until you find the most comfortable to drive.
According to ezgo's newest tech manuals:
""The measurement taken at the front of the tires should be 0"- 1/8 (0 - 3mm) less than the rear""
Check the pic:

For ending: On the wife issue...

I cannot help you!!!
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
Eagleeye
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick reply.

Will probably get the board for this one and stick w/ 36v.

I have a lead on some newer old carts to work on anyway.

The wife thing- She has put up my obsessions for 33 yrs so whats a few more?

I'll take the P/U to the shop and let someone else work on it.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Eagleeye
Not Yet Wild

I got a Quick Charge controller put in the old charger and a new set of batteries.

What a difference.

Thanks Roady and others.

Ready to take to the hunting area for a test run and a little fishing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO