lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 84 ezgo gasser slow to start

This cart is new to me. New top end, crank seals, cleaned carb, new fuel. Upon pressing the gas pedal the motor cranks but wont fire unless I give it about 3/4 throttle. When running it is fast, purrs like a kitten and runs great. I can slow to a crawl and still runs fine, but if i come to a complete stop the motor has to crank for 5-10 seconds with me giving it a lot of throttle to start back up. Seems like there is plenty of fuel. the only thing i have not done is changed the fuel pump of seal. Any suggestion would be great. Correct me if i am wrong, but this thing should just fire right up with little depression of the gas pedal as long as the microswitch is triped.
bbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 ezgo gasser slow to start

possibly a plugged low-speed jet - here's a diagram of your carb, all the circled jets NEED to be perfectly clean to allow correct fuel delivery throughout all RPM's.

Also, double check your throttle cable adjustment and movement, it's possible that your pedal is actuating the microswitch before the carb butterfly is opening (unlikely scenario but anything is possible) - I'd pull the carb and clean out ALL the jets thoroughly before I messed with too much though, that low-speed jet could easily just have some poop in it (the LS jet is the top one, #15 in the pic)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

checked the low speed jet and it seems all clear. Actually after removing my belt and checking into this a little further I need to change my 1st statement. The engine shuts off/will not run at anything less than half throttle. carb? or something else. I can hold my foot on the throttle with the motor cranking and it will not start without giving it 3/4 throttle and when i let up is dies at 1/2 throtlle.

Also, aside from this issue. The starter generator seems to struggle to get the engine to crank right at first, but once it gets the 1st revolution or 2 it cranks fast. Could this be a weak starter or to much compression?
Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

the starter thing (provided all your ground cables are tight and clean) sounds like brushes - mine was recently doing the same thing (it would spin slow for 2-3rpm then pick up and crank it over fine), new brushes and a little cleaning of the armature put it back in shape.

If yo haven't pulled and cleaned all your ground cables in say a year or so though, I would definitely do that first, they corrode up pretty fast and even though they feel tight and look OK, they get nasty inside the connections and can be the cause of slow turnover.

Did you pull the carb and check the main jet and the needle valve etc - like I said earlier, ANY one of them being even a little goo'ed up will wreak havoc on your running with these 2-strokes - the low speed is the obvious first candidate but if it's the only one you checked you still have work to do on the carb before we can move on and come up with an accurate diagnosis
Old 07-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

going to pull the carb and i will also check the grounds. i will let you know my findings
Old 07-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Cool - I hate to play the "Task Master" (especially on a Saturday) but without going through this stuff step-by-step in order, it really makes it hard to troubleshoot everything accurately, sorry!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Took carb apart going to soak overnight in solvent then reassemble. I am actually thinking the starter problem might be the solenoid. It is humming and intermitantly the starter won't crank at all. Then all of the sudden works again
Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

that DOES sound like a bad solenoid, actually (especially the hum) - one sure diagnosis (kind of a pain to set up but accurate if you can) is to try and start it with the seat up (probably best attempted on jack stands to avoid a sudden runaway, or just do it now while the carb is off, that would work too) - when it locks and hums, do NOT take your foot off the pedal and give the solenoid a tap, if it kicks in then you can pretty much guarantee the solenoid is sticking
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

cleaned and rebuilt the carb put it back on and still ran the same. got to looking at the thottle lever and noticed that it was bent and not hitting the spring loaded stop screw. Bent the lever adjusted the throttle cable and this thing now fires up just like it is supposed to. still looking into the solenoid and starter issue, but I am so happy that the throttle issue is fixed. thanks for the help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO