lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Walking-Again
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 Workhorse will not run, HELP!

I have a 97 Workhorse with a 295 engine. Bought it used and it ran good, over time had to keep pulling the choke to keep it running, then it got to where if I blocked the air intake it would barely run but no power at all.

I have: cleaned the fuel pump (seems to pump good) and soaked/cleaned the carb, compression tested the motor (135psi both cylinders), and did the HEI conversion to include coil and wires, adjusted the valves, and made sure the exhaust was not plugged.

I have replaced the following:starter/generator, plugs, fuel filter, gas, and battery. I am getting fuel and have spark but it just will not run without plugging the air intake and then it will barely get out of it's own way.

What am I missing?? Thank you!
Walking-Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Brother Texan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 Workhorse will not run, HELP!

When you cleaned the carb, you say you soaked it. Did you make sure all the jets and vents clear? They can get build up in them that soaking alone will not get out. Use a couple strands of copper wire to push through the tubes and holes. Be sure they are all clear. If this does not help, search for a vacuum leak. Spray carb cleaner around carb base and intake. If cart idle picks up, you have found a leak.

If that doesn't help, pull the engine and put in a V-TWIN
Brother Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Check carb float level.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
loflyer2880
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Its in the carb. I just spent a HOUR trying to get my main jet out. Pull it apart
and clean everything. Brother Texan and Walkin-Again are both right on this one. A couple grains of sand in a carb can have your rig running awful.
loflyer2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
bowtieracin
Gone Wild

I would adjust the valves 135 is low. It should be up 170- 190. i would say that is your problem harder startin no power. Do that and let us know! Good luck
bowtieracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Walking-Again
Not Yet Wild

Any tricks out there to get the main jet out? It appears someone before me tried and messed the slotted head up some and I'm afraid to make it worse and never get it out. I have cleaned all the rest of it twice before and it helped for a while but never truly fixed it.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Brother Texan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Shine a light down the Venturi and look through the jet. You should see a smooth round hole. If you can not get the jet out, just leave it in and try to push some wire strands through it. Use compressed air to clear the rest, and check it with the light again.
Brother Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

You are probably not going to get that jet out. The best thing to try is comp. air, or soaking it longer to see if the jet will free up. However, if the slotted head is damaged, it's very likely it aint comin out. The bulk of this problem seems to lie in the carb. The carb. needs to be replaced if you can't get the jet out. If complete dissassembly is possible, take it apart, soak and clean thouroughly with compressed air. Also, from your post, you said compression was 135. That is way tooooo low. This will have a significant impact on the little power you have. If your valves are adjusted properly and compression is still low, a rebuild may be in order. Hope this helps ya.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez go go View Post
You are probably not going to get that jet out. The best thing to try is comp. air, or soaking it longer to see if the jet will free up. However, if the slotted head is damaged, it's very likely it aint comin out. The bulk of this problem seems to lie in the carb. The carb. needs to be replaced if you can't get the jet out. If complete dissassembly is possible, take it apart, soak and clean thouroughly with compressed air. Also, from your post, you said compression was 135. That is way tooooo low. This will have a significant impact on the little power you have. If your valves are adjusted properly and compression is still low, a rebuild may be in order. Hope this helps ya.
Just want to be clarified. Do you add the compression per cylinder or is that the compression of just one? Because mine has only 95 per and it is running perfectly.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Walking-Again
Not Yet Wild

Each cylinder has 135 psi. What should it have? I have seen many posts referencing anything over 120 is good but that may not be for the 295 engine specifically.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO