lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
GoofenoFF
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question 08 Club Car DS price?

I am contemplating a 2008 CC DS for use at lake cottage. I have been told that gas is the way to go as it is a somewhat hilly area. Is $3000 a reasonable price for a pretty much stock cart with just head lights? I plan to do a lift kit, wheels and tires and rear seat...to start. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated
GoofenoFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 08 Club Car DS price?

My 2 cents is you shouldn't discount an electric cart based on one opinion. These carts have gone a long ways in the last 10 years and they'll do very well on hills these days with peak horsepower that matches or exceeds their gas counterparts. Not to disuade you from the gas cart, I just happen to enjoy the silence and power of my electric.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Goof,
First off... Welcome to BGW!

If it's very clean, very few hours, one owner, and never used as a golf coarse fleet car, $3000. may be o.k.,
BUT... I'd try for $2500.00 being that it's pretty much bone stock!

Briggs,
I agree that one should never discount a sparkie, BUT...
it all depends on how goof puts it to use, lengthy rides to neighbors cottages, to the local pub and grill, etc., the run time may be limited.
Plus... if he leaves it at the lake cottage on the charger, unattended for long periods, stuff can happen!

IMO... a gasser may suit GoofenoFF better!

my .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

Lockman,
The one agrument you didn't make for gas carts was hill-climbing, the sole criterion mentioned by OP. There are good arguments for both gas and electric, and you make several. I merely wished to point out that hills may not be a particularly compelling argument either way.

IMO ... neither of us has enough information to know what may suit OP better.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Point taken!

But, the OP was asking about a purchase price and seemed to be set on this one cart!

I'll shut up now!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofenoFF View Post
I am contemplating a 2008 CC DS for use at lake cottage. I have been told that gas is the way to go as it is a somewhat hilly area. Is $3000 a reasonable price for a pretty much stock cart with just head lights? I plan to do a lift kit, wheels and tires and rear seat...to start. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated
Goof, prices vary wildly across the country, around here an 08 gas CC in good condition would be snapped up at $3000 whereas an electric might sit unloved for months at that price but go to another area and the reverse might be true.
There are pro's and cons to both vehicles such as recharging an electric from your garage as opposed to driving to the gas station or storing gas. On the other hand though, you can carry a spare gallon of gas as opposed to a charger. A set of batteries will cost not much less than a new gas engine and won't last a fraction of the time as a gas engine on a well maintained gas car. Heck, I just sold a 27 year old EZ-GO that was still running on its untouched original engine and I doubt an electric could ever achieve that. Having said that however, the choice is yours. If I were you I would try both versions before pulling the trigger. IMO it's a Ford vs Chevy thing with both sets owners extolling the virtues of the respective breeds.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
GoofenoFF
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the advice guys. One of the minuses that I had considered for the electrics was the idea of leaving the cart unattended for a week or two on a charger. I also was told the average life of a set of batteries is around 5 years and the cost to replace is around $600?
The cart I am considering is from a dealer and I am told its' previous life was at a country club course. Does an ex-golf course cart mean it has more than likely had a rough life and should probably live out the rest of its' days at the shelter for battered carts?
Stinger mentioned $3K would be a good price for an '08 gas DS in his area...if you don't mind me asking roughly where is that area? I was figuring where I am at, near Cleveland, the golf season is limited to about 5 or 6 months for carts and the sales guy estimated the cart would probably have 300 to 400 hours on it. I can try to presbyterian them down a little on the price but they seemed pretty firm and said they will deliver it, to my cottage if I want, and they will stand behind the cart, I guess that's smarter than standing in front of it? If you don't think this is a decent deal where else is a good place to shop for a used cart?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
GoofenoFF
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Another thought, when I am shopping what are the key areas to look at on a used cart to tell how much wear and tear is on it?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofenoFF View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. One of the minuses that I had considered for the electrics was the idea of leaving the cart unattended for a week or two on a charger. I also was told the average life of a set of batteries is around 5 years and the cost to replace is around $600?
The cart I am considering is from a dealer and I am told its' previous life was at a country club course. Does an ex-golf course cart mean it has more than likely had a rough life and should probably live out the rest of its' days at the shelter for battered carts?
Stinger mentioned $3K would be a good price for an '08 gas DS in his area...if you don't mind me asking roughly where is that area? I was figuring where I am at, near Cleveland, the golf season is limited to about 5 or 6 months for carts and the sales guy estimated the cart would probably have 300 to 400 hours on it. I can try to presbyterian them down a little on the price but they seemed pretty firm and said they will deliver it, to my cottage if I want, and they will stand behind the cart, I guess that's smarter than standing in front of it? If you don't think this is a decent deal where else is a good place to shop for a used cart?
Regarding a couple of your points Goof, a new set of correct batteries will be closer to $1200, not $600. They aren't cheap ! A private Country Club or golf course vehicles will have been better looked after (generally) than a municipal or public course carts since they are usually member driven and the members and staff will treat them better than your average "pay as you play I'll take a twelve pack please" walk on players. I have seen carts used as battering rams, driven through bunkers and parked in ponds on our semi private course here in Mid MO.Just last month, a couple of highly intoxicated very large gentlemen managed to mow down a a tee/green distance marker that was supported on a pair of 4"X4" wooden posts anchored into the ground with concrete !! Golf course carts are usually heavily restricted and your average golfer can't get the ball beyond 260 yards off the tee, they don't get hammered over long distances.
Things to check; wear on the seat covers, brake and gas pedal faces will give you an indication of overall wear. Also check the belts for wear, the oil and filter should be clean and the tires should show good, even tread wear. The list goes on and on but treat it as a suspiciously low mileage used car and you won't go far wrong.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

To be fair, it would take some effort to pay as much as 1200 for any 48v set of the 'correct' batteries, such as red-top Trojans; $600 would be a good deal but also MUCH closer to fair and accurate. 5 years of life is a pretty fair estimate for an 8v set, a 6v set will probably last longer and a 12 volt set may not last that long. It depends greatly on how far you typically travel on a charge and your willingness to add distilled water periodically.

Maintenance is considered to be less on electrics than gas, but it strikes me as a tradeoff between filters, oil, fuel and fuel stabilizer etc. vs watering batteries, hooking to charger, and biting the bullet every 5-8 years for a rather expensive new set of batteries. Someone added up the typical annual cost of each, including replacement batteries for both, depreciation, fuel, electric etc, and concluded as I recall that gas was about 70% the cost of electric.

I test drove a number of gas units and several electrics prior to my own decision, having been told that the gas ones today are very quiet and that the electrics now set the standard for power. I found that the gas ones were actually quite noisy and their acceleration (stock) was quite boring. The electrics, to me, were FUN. Instant gratification when the pedal is mashed without the sound of a struggling engine. My cart is a utility cart, it is used on the farm and nursery as a beast of burden, and I have no need to travel to the next county. Torque and quiet are important features to me.

Please, I beg you all, those were merely my impressions and I respect and understand the other opinions expressed here. I'm getting the impression that OP has test driven both, considered the alternatives, and reached a tentative conclusion. I don't pay much attention to the gas cart prices, but have noted factory rebuilt gas (and electric) carts for not a lot more than $3000.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car