lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
gauto5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1997 Club Car limo DS 11hp sputters on acceleration

Hello all..
I have a 97 DS Club Car with 11hp engine. The darned thing will run sometimes and other times just sputter upon throttle from a stop. If I play with the choke and get the RPMs up it will snap out of it for a little while.
It's not the fuel pump or filter since the clown I purchased it from brought me a new pump and filter and even picked it up and put on another carb (supposedly..).
I feel like a real idiot buying this thing, I only wanted to cruise the kids around Fort Wilderness in Disney (which is where I am now).
To me it definitely feels like a lack of fuel issue, it even backfires at times out the exhaust.
The guy I bought it from repairs golf carts, just not real well I guess. He has a business out of Florida and swears this cart ran great however I'm not having a lot of luck.
Is there a rev-limiter on this? I've seen schematics of the limit switches and even saw that there is a service mode on the shifter. Which I checked and it already was in service mode.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm an auto mechanic so I can handle the tools very well.
Sorry to make my first post a needy one....
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
tpg
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1997 Club Car limo DS 11hp sputters on acceleration

Sounds like a lean condition. Check to verify you are getting plenty gas to the carb. I had a similar situation and mine was a piece of dirt in the high speed jet in the carb, Cleaned it out and it ran perfectly. Make sure there isn't too much play in the throttle shaft on the carb. This can give a lean condition. Lastly I would unbolt the muffler and see if condition goes away- possible clogging.
tpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
gauto5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sounds feasible but it doesn't do it all the time.
A new development
If it is sputtering if you ease out of the throttle it will clear and then start to rev and accelerate. You mentioned the throttle shaft and I've read that also somewhere. The seller insists that you can't throttle too fast because the rev limiter kicks in. I know how a rev limiter works and this is just a load of bs from him.
I'll check on the shaft when I get it home.
Can weak compression cause an erratic symptom like this? I know the pump is impulse style and relies on compression to work.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

rev limiter has nothing to do with this. i've seen plugged mufflers and air leaking around the intake do this. club car issued a bulletin to cover this problem.
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
golfcartthing
Getting Wild
Club Car

example:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf srv_11019.pdf (228.7 KB, 18 views)
golfcartthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
gauto5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcartthing View Post
rev limiter has nothing to do with this. i've seen plugged mufflers and air leaking around the intake do this. club car issued a bulletin to cover this problem.
Thanks for the response. And I hope no one takes my questions as challenging their knowledge, that's is absolutely not intended.
Anyway, a clogged muffler will intermittantly cause a hard accel and sputter? Or would it be more consistent? Can choking the motor cause the thing to snap out of it?
Based on the autos I fix, clogged exhaust is consistent. It may run slightly better at startup but once warm it's bad all the time.
I see you're from Valpo, I live in Crown Point.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

If the air filter was replaced, and it runs better with the choke...
Double check the air box cover to make sure that it's been reinstalled correctly!
(unsnap it, make sure the rear hooks are hooked properly, and resnap it!)

It's crucial that the air box is sealed tightly!

my .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
gauto5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
If the air filter was replaced, and it runs better with the choke...
Double check the air box cover to make sure that it's been reinstalled correctly!
(unsnap it, make sure the rear hooks are hooked properly, and resnap it!)

It's crucial that the air box is sealed tightly!

my .02
Thanks, I checked it out and everything is where it should be. Good to know because I would have thought it could have run without it.
When it does bog down you can hear it through the intake/choke assembly under your legs. It definitely is lacking fuel from the way it sounds.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

mine was doing this same thing only way it would run was by feathering the choke. took the bowl off the carb and there was some water in it. buddy emptied it out took the main jet out blew threw it put it back together it runs fine now. pop the bowl off to see what you get.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
gauto5150
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Angry Re: 1997 Club Car limo DS 11hp sputters on acceleration

QUOTE=KRAZYMATT;663638]mine was doing this same thing only way it would run was by feathering the choke. took the bowl off the carb and there was some water in it. buddy emptied it out took the main jet out blew threw it put it back together it runs fine now. pop the bowl off to see what you get.[/QUOTE]

Popped the bowl off and found some seditment. Cleaned it out and still the same. Checked the jet and cleaned that out too even though it looked clear to begin with.
RESULT?
Same problem.

[

Tags
club car bogs sputters
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car