lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
pollockjes4
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 club car ignition change over

Good evening. Brand new to the group. I am now the lucky owner of a 91 DS gas club car. I just installed a new starter and will be putting in a new key switch as well. I have completely dissected the wiring, switches and solenoid. i am thinking about doing away with the limit switches and putting in a key ignition. Can i use the same constant duty solenoid, or should i get a intermittent starter solenoid? will the starter generator still work as needed?

TIA
pollockjes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 91 club car ignition change over

You'll need the continuous duty solenoid, and you need to have it stay energized the entire time the engine is running. Yes, the solenoid sends power to the starter to start the engine, but as the engine starts and picks up speed that same starter becomes a generator producing electric power. That solenoid needs to remain engaged to give that power a path back to your battery to keep it charged.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not true for all of them, mine has a diode across the solinoid to allow for charging; it is hard to find a schmatic showing it tho
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those that were originally built as key start (villagers,carryalls, etc) are different, but we're talking about the op's 91 DS.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
pollockjes4
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the feed back. I was going through the wiring in my head on the way to work and realized the solenoid would need to stay in/on to charge. Can i just take the wire that goes from the voltage regulator to the solenoid and connect to the battery instead to get a charge vs going through the solenoid? Update, she is running tonight!!
pollockjes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:24 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The red wire that stacks on the solenoid with the larger white wire is there so it only gets powered when the engine is running. Going straight to the battery with it may give you a current drain when the cart is off and parked. That larger white wire is the return path for the generator to charge the battery. It's a pretty simple system & it works.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car